8 Struggles All College Students Can Relate To With Online Classes

Your bed should be for sleeping, not for taking notes.

36

With the current pandemic sweeping the globe, college students across the world are now beginning to engage in alternative styles of online learning. While there have been quite a lot of memes about these changes, now we are actually starting to learn what it means to be virtual college students.

Even though it may look like we're just on our laptops in our beds doing nothing, online college is a lot harder than the naked eye can recognize. Some professors have been understanding in these times of adversity, but others have significantly increased the workload and raised the expectations of their students.

Whether you're a star student or a total slacker, all college students alike are now experiencing the same struggles.

1. Dressing Up for Class

It's really hard to change out of your pajamas for your 8:00 AM lecture, but at least you can keep those sweatpants on.

2. Eating During Class

Even though some of my professors prohibited food during class, they can't stop me from eating cereal in my own home.

3. Online Doesn't Work for Everything

Labs online? Performing arts classes online? Physical fitness classes online?

4. Homework in Your Bed

It is physically impossible to get an assignment done in the comfort of your bed.

5. Your Family Doesn't Understand

Online school does not mean I am no longer a student, despite what my family members may think when they interrupt my virtual class to ask me to unload the dishwasher.

6. No More Study Sessions

Unless you can get everyone in your class to FaceTime you with all their different time zones and responsibilities, there's no way to get your favorite study group together to prep for the online midterm.

7. Internet Connectivity Problems

There's nothing like the fear that your connection will shut off in the middle of an online exam.

8. Motivation is a Foreign Concept

You're telling me that I still have to write this research paper while a global pandemic is happening around me?

To all my fellow college students: we can get through this. Good luck.