To The One I Abandoned

To All The Ones I've Loved Before: Final Chapter

I put other people before you, which was my greatest mistake.

93

Dear S,

I want to start this off by telling you how sorry I am for what I put you through over the years.

I put you in some horrible situations with even more horrible people instead of showing you the kindness and love you deserve.

I didn't make time for you. I put you through too much stress and didn't know how to handle you when you crashed, so I left you.

I gravitated towards people I thought I could "fix" instead of bringing people in that would treat me the way I deserve to be treated.

I wish I could tell you how sorry I am in person, but I don't think that could ever happen. I need to show you through my actions.

I should have fed you healthier things. I should have exercised with you more. I should have picked up on the red flags and left immediately instead of pushing them off to the side, hoping they would eventually go away.

They never do. I can guarantee you they won't go away.

I want to believe that people change. I now know that just because they can doesn't mean they will.

When people like D, P, and H treated you horribly and then left, I blamed you when I should have blamed them. No matter what a person is going through, nobody has the right to treat others badly. Nobody.

I still cannot believe what I put you through, especially with H. I should have told you to run as soon as they began to hurt you in new ways.

When I could tell you didn't want to run, I should have dragged you away anyways.

H was the final straw. You are my only focus from now on.

I promise to make more time for you because I now can tell how much I've neglected you this year, and I want to make it up to you.

Let's go for walks when it's nice outside. Let's go to brunch together! I hear there's a great crepe place in City Centre, and I can take you there for your birthday!

We can go shopping at Urban Outfitters together, and I'll let you have anything you want (within reason, of course, a girl is on a budget.)

It'll be just like old times before the others took over.

Things are going to get better, I promise.

I love you more than you will ever know!

Love, Sarah