Realities Of Being One Year Out Of High School

As a sophomore in college, I wish I could go back and talk to my freshman year self.

8
Scottsboro

While you are in that in between time of child and adult, everything seems so important. When I was in high school, so many little things were the end of the world. In fact, I had a break down my first week of freshman year of high school because I thought I was growing up too fast. Of course, now that I am in college I see how ridiculous I was, and I can start focusing on real goals and ambition for actual grown-up life.

I want to be a high school teacher and I am excited to impact kids’ lives that are going through this transitional time. I am well aware that when you are in these four years, you feel like you are in a petri dish being examined by everyone around you. I remember every feeling so vividly and I can look back now and think, “Why did I take all of those things so personal.”

After a year of being out of my small-town school, I’ve realized some things that I wish I could have told myself:

1. Calm down, these problems aren’t that detrimental.

Whether it’s the ACT, a break-up, an embarrassing rumor, or a fight with your best friend, it’s all going to be okay. These are problems, but they are just temporary and easily fixable. So don’t let that score define you, don’t let a significant other control you, brush off that rumor, and call your best friend and apologize. You will make it through and laugh at yourself one day.

2. Your parents are your biggest supporters.

No matter how many doors you slam in their face, how many time you tell them you hate them, or how many times you disobey their rules, your parents and family are everything. When you are in this time of confusion, turn to your parents for advice and guidance. Secrets from them won’t help you and it’s not the end of the world that they won’t let you go to that party. Your family is the only people in this world that love you unconditionally, appreciate them.

3. You don’t need a significant other.

Stop chasing after that person to date. Don’t keep texting people, “Hey, what’s up?” in hopes of sparking up a conversation and falling in love. Relationships in high school rarely last, and it is more important to build yourself up at this time, instead of focusing on a person that may be only temporary anyways.

4. It’s okay to spend time alone.

Being alone is a rare concept for high schoolers. If you aren’t posting pictures of you and your friends then who will know how fun you are, am I right? Wrong. It’s perfectly acceptable not to make plans on a Friday night, clean your room, and read a book. Put down your phone, you don’t need to be connected to everyone else constantly. Take some time with your own thoughts and relax for a night.

5. Stay kind.

There will always be someone talking smack about that one girl in the short skirt. Well, don’t feed into their negativity. Tell them that the girl has a beautiful smile and walk away. No matter what mean things you say about others, it will not make you better. Social media is also no place to post mean comments and spiteful remarks for the world to see. If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

I wish that when I was still in high school I was able to step out of my own little world. I wish I realized that this was such a small part of my life that all of the things that crumbled my composure didn’t matter. I wish I would have listened to the adults that cared about me and took their advice.

If you are in high school now, try to be cognizant of your emotions. Don’t let one bad day spiral out of control. It’s four years of your life and you have so much more to look forward to.