Columbia, SC: A Year After The Flood

Columbia, SC: A Year After The Flood

Do you remember South Carolina's flash flood that created $16 million worth of property damage?

79
Columbia, SC: A Year After The Flood
Insurance Journal

Starting with a parish in New Orleans, Katrina was the devastating hurricane that launched the creation of the nonprofit called SBP. Founded on a community's desire to help rebuild when homes were destroyed by natural disasters, this organization thrives in many areas. One of these communities is our very own Columbia, SC.

Almost a year ago, Columbia was struck with flash flooding that caused damage to roughly 160,000 homes and around $12 billion in property damages. We all heard about this horrendous event in Columbia and many pitched in to volunteer and donated money to help people get back on their feet. As great as that is that the community came together, did you know that there are people out there who were refused by FEMA and couldn’t afford to fix their homes and are still living in these conditions? Many of us have not thought about the flood in months, myself included. By Christmas, most of us had already occupied our minds with a thousand other things.

About a month ago, I found out my roommate would be a girl moving from New York to South Carolina for her work. What I was surprised to find out was that she is here with Americorps. She has been all over the world, has her graduate degree and many opportunities at her disposal, but she decided to join SBP. She is employed by SBP and Americorps to organize construction crews and work hard with the city to get permits for homes that families are living in that are still not fixed from flooding. The problem with the houses that were destroyed because of the flooding in Columbia is that a good portion of them were not covered under insurance, because homeowners never thought they would be at any risk of flooding in their location. This leaves people paying out of pocket.

I consider myself to be relatively aware of what is going on in the world. I know of the tragedy that is going on in war torn areas and the devastating stories of the refugees. What I didn’t know was that there were families living just miles from me who were without electricity, without appliances in their kitchen, a proper roof, or just the basic necessities to live.

My roommate came home the other night and as we talked, she unloaded about a house that they were currently working on. Let me paint you a picture.

Two children, 6 and 9-year-old girls sitting in a living room with a very clear puddle above their heads, water dripping through the ceiling onto them. This puddle has created an indentation in the ceiling so that the water is inches away from one of the only working electrical outlets on the premise. They sit, not knowing of the clear fire hazard above them. The 6-year-old has been sick a lot lately. She doesn’t have the typical cold like kids her age, she has been poisoned from the black mold growing in their house. Her parents, nowhere to be found. Her grandparents, doing the best they can to raise the girls. Due to age and physical ailments, both are on disability and retirement, and as a result, they are unable to get the money to fix the house.

This is only one of many heart wrenching stories she has come home to tell. She comes in with a new complication everyday. Since the work she does is very much volunteer-based, the actual construction of the houses are done through people giving up their free time to come and help.

As I sit in my apartment, happy to be out of the heat, I enjoy my air conditioning, clean, running water and food that I prepared in my working kitchen. I then wonder what these families are doing at this exact moment. Are they sweating because it’s 100 degrees outside? Yes. But they aren’t worried about the sweat, they are worried about the rain tomorrow because that may be the final straw that makes their roof completely cave in. They worry about the helpless little girl that relies on them, and they are doing everything they can... but that isn’t enough.

What is a house to you? A safe, clean, comfortable place to live. What is it to them? A place with rats, cockroaches and black mold.

What is a home? A place with all your memories and loved ones. What is it to them? A place where all their memories have been ruined due to the water damage.

We forget that it happened. They are reminded of it every day, because they live it every day.

Did we realize people are still suffering in our area? If you are anything like me, then no, you were completely unaware.

What can you do to help? One of the many ways you can help is by signing up to volunteer or donating money to fund the materials needed to rebuild the houses.

If you want to see the miracles that are created through the hard work of these volunteers, come to the opening on September 17. There is a welcome home party for one of the homes that is currently still in the process of being rebuilt.

Since we are quickly approaching the year anniversary of the flood, there will be an event held in remembrance. The date and time are still to come. The event's website will supply you with all the information needed. This is another opportunity for you to become involved in rebuilding not only homes, but also the lives of the people in your community.