One Week of Pokemon GO

One Week of Pokemon GO

The game may alter reality as we know it.

5
One Week of Pokemon GO
TheJWittz

It's hard to begin this article casually, so I'll just get straight to the point: Pokémon GO is probably the most compelling evidence that there is, in fact, a god in this universe; the game will most likely alter all of reality as we know it. Of course I'm being dramatic, but I do really believe the game will alter certain aspects of reality, for both aspiring Pokémon masters and the entire future of handheld, smartphone gaming.

Just like millions of other millennials, Pokémon served as a staple of much of my childhood. From television shows and stuffed animals to movies and (obviously) Gameboy games, I was obsessed with all things Pokémon; I’m only slightly ashamed to admit that Pokémon was probably my first true love. With that being said, it should come as no surprise that I’m totally geeking out over the release of Pokémon GO: an augmented reality game that allows players to walk around and catch and battle Pokémon, thus living out their long-forgotten (or not) childhood fantasies.

At a little less than a week old, Pokémon GO has quickly become the #1 free app in the iTunes store and brings in an estimated revenue of $1.6 million every day. If you’ve been on any form of social media in the last few days then you’ve certainly noticed the growing popularity of the game, whether you’re a Poké-fan or not.

In terms of popular smartphone games, Pokémon GO could be the most exciting and revolutionary game to come out in the last few years, if not more, which is why I feel justified in saying that it could very well alter reality, especially for younger generations who are becoming more and more accustomed to having smartphones, tablets, and the internet at their disposal 24/7. I believe this game is just the beginning of what could become a massive movement towards augmented reality games.

While I’ve generally enjoyed video games-- during childhood and my college years alike-- I must admit that they have not always had a positive influence on my social interactions; I can recall days of my life that I spent a majority of my hours indoors staring at a screen, usually playing Pokémon or Runescape. Although the long Minnesota winters made this seem like a justifiable use of time, it still didn’t help me to get out of the house and be involved with other human beings. Pokémon GO may, in fact, change this solitary aspect of video games, at least a little bit.

Because the game uses GPS to track your movement, people have no choice but to leave the house in order to progress in the game. If I hadn’t left my house, for example, the only Pokémon I would have is a Weedle—for non-Pokémon folks, trust me, a Weedle is not very extraordinary or impressive. For anyone who is even semi-serious about catching Pokémon, leaving the house is a must. And because most of us choose to interact with other people when we leave the house, as opposed to remaining alone, Pokémon GO creates ample opportunity to not only adventure with friends but to meet new people (in real life) as well. In fact, just last night Julie and I walked around the block in search of Pokémon and ran into another couple who were clearly doing the same exact thing. We talked with them a little, exchanging pleasantries and sharing what Pokémon we had seen nearby (they told us about a Rattata and we told them about a Beedrill, so they sort of got the better end of the deal). Overall, it was a very positive experience and one that I hope to repeat as I continue on my Pokémon journey.

With all this being said, Pokémon GO is still very new and has a lot of bugs and kinks to fix. However, I do think that this game has already made a vastly positive impact on the community of millennial gamers that have quite literally grown up with Pokémon, from 1995 to present. For me, it has been an immense pleasure to reawaken my childhood joy and excitement over Pokémon GO. The game has already started to change how I think about playing video games—staring at a screen, alone and indoors vs. walking around the neighborhood, outdoors with friends—and I think that this is just the beginning. I’m excited to say that Pokémon GO has only just gotten started and I can’t wait to see where it goes in the future. As far as other smartphone games are concerned, I believe Pokémon GO has set a new standard and will act as a role model for the future of handheld gaming.

I’d like to end with a general announcement to all those people who want to be the very best like no one ever was: please refrain from searching for Pokémon while driving or doing any other activity that requires your attention for safety. It’s just not worth the risk, to yourself or to those around you (unless it’s a Mewtwo or a Dragonite…)(but not actually). Best of luck to you on your Poké-venture.