That Door That Just Closed In Your Face Is Setting You Up For Greater Things To Come

Sometimes, we have to lose something to gain something greater.

353

Break-ups are hard. Ending friendships are hard. Goodbyes are hard. Sometimes, we question why doors have to close, not realizing until we're stuck in the aftermath that it closed for something better.

This past week, one of my best friends said something that really stuck with me. Something that I have really been reflecting on. He began talking about how had he and his girlfriend not broken up, he would not have developed such deep friendships with me and our other amazing friends this past summer.

In his exact words: "God really does take people out of your life to bring better people in."

What a wise and honest statement. Sometimes, we can be so focused on the negative or the "closing door," that we aren't taking notice of all the wonderful things that it led to.

Every door was meant to be open. Each door that you open is a part of your own individual journey and you should never be ashamed of that; however, not every door was meant to remain open. And most times, it is because there is a greater door waiting for you. You have always had the key, you just didn't realize it.

This goes for relationships, friendships or simply everyday life. Not every person that you meet will remain with you through the end of your journey. But more times than not, when they walk away, someone or a group of people are waiting to stand by you.

That's what happened this summer. Just a group of friends, all going through different things, experiencing closing doors who found one another. Life takes unexpected turns.

Sometimes, we lose something or someone and we aren't in search for anything else. But sometimes, when we aren't in search for anything else, something else is in search for us.

I think my friends and I were searching for one another this summer, it just took a few closed doors to open the one that would lead us to where we are now. I have never felt more loved by a group of people, and I am so thankful for that.

It's amazing how such a simple statement can cause you to reflect on so many things. I never considered how accurate what he said was; had he and his girlfriend not broken up, none of us would be the group that we are today.

I now notice that with many things. So many doors have been opened for me due to me losing something else. At the time, it was hard, but now, I'm grateful.

Many people experience this. Feeling like they can never catch a break. One door closes only for another to close, but I promise you, no amount of closed doors will ever defeat the one amazing door that will be waiting for you.

You never know the amazing opportunities you will be offered, or the amazing people you meet whenever you finally allow a closed door to stop dictating your life, but instead, allow a new one to appear.