Stop Saying 'One Day'. The Time Is Now

Stop Saying 'One Day'. The Time Is Now

Why do we talk ourselves out of our dreams?

376
Stop Saying 'One Day'. The Time Is Now
Flickr.com

We all fall prey to " One day" don't we? "One day, I'll quit drinking so much soda." "One day, I'll figure my life out." "One day I'll clean." "One day, I'll write that paper." That's a whole lot of one days, a whole lot of one days that will continue to be ignored until we can't possibly ignore them anymore and they are repeatedly hitting us over the head.

Flash back to me, as a freshman, dreaming with my little freshman mind. "One day, I'll be rich, and live a comfortable life with all the dogs and I'll be able to do whatever I want." HAHAHAHA- sorry I just have to laugh at myself whenever I recall my freshman self saying something or wanting something. Freshman me had no idea.

Forward to now, I'm a senior. I'm set to graduate in May, and one day is here. It's scary when you haven't actually been prepared for one day to arrive. For the past 4 year's I've been saying "When I graduate I'm going to have my life together, I'm going to be healthy and in shape, I'm going to be an adult."

Well here I am, adulting clearly when I watch SIXTEEN EPISODES of a show straight through and color in a coloring book.

But honestly, one day comes before you know it. We need to stop putting everything off because we'll have time one day (#lieswetellourselves). One day is now. I wish beyond wish I could go back and tell myself to make stuff happen now, because that's the only way it would happen.

Here I am now, a hectically busy senior, trying to get in shape, trying to learn how to take care of myself. These are things I should have learned long ago, but I told myself I would one day. Don't let one day stop you from achieving what you want from life. Because trust me, now that I'm actively doing the things I said I'd do one day, I feel amazing.

When you turn one day into today, everything suddenly seems possible. With every passing day my dreams are getting bigger and bigger, because I realize now that if I'm willing to put in the work, the results and much more will be there.

So here I am challenging you to try to do just one thing you said you'd do one day. It doesn't matter how big or small that thing is. Need some ideas? Here's some off the top of my head that I hear people say a lot.

Working out consistently

Making time to read a book

Learning a new skill

Eating more healthy

All of these things are things that are ridiculously easy to start doing, so long as you take control of your time. Working out consistently starts with one work out, then two, etc. Making time to read a book starts with you putting down your phone for 10 minutes and reading a book. Learning a new skill starts with paying attention to someone who is doing what you want to learn. Eating healthier starts with one meal a day.

Make one day today, y'all. I promise you won't be sorry.