On the Island of Love

On the Island of Love

Love, in fact, does not have a prescribed medicine; it is rather a disease with high risks and low chances of curability.

11
On the Island of Love
Travelocity

While browsing the internet over the past couple of weeks, I came across a startling phrase, "the island of love." Last year, I was randomly jotting down some ideas of love and the theories behind it. They were mainly my own perception and reflection on love. Yet, the island of love is now taking my mind into new horizons.

Previously, I thought of love as an abstract collection of perceptions. I thought of love as merely a bunch of mentally constructed pictures. I described love as being an idea at the very surface level of the heart. Hence love becomes an exchanged commodity between two souls and not a deeply rooted phenomenon. This understanding of love helps in explaining why some people have temporary crushes on others which fade out in a matter of time.

The island of love, on the other hand, provides an alternative insight into the theory of love. It’s a much deeper conception. It perhaps can help us understand, why we never heal from the wounds of a break up. Well, to each his (or her) own. People differ in how they understand, accept and believe in love. Love, in fact, does not have a prescribed medicine; it is rather a disease with high risks and low chances of curability.

Let’s delve more into the island of love. I heard the phrase a couple of times in pop songs and in creative writing blogs all over the internet. The phrase is probably intended to explain a euphoria which a lover falls into. The island could be state of mind, hence it is a similar result to that of taking drugs. The island could also reflect the end goal of a relationship in which the island represents the happily ever after life.

As I gave the expression a better thought, I came to realize that one lover could actually be on the island by themselves. Hence, the whole purpose of love is to bring the other end to the island so that both sides enjoy the sensation. But if the island is the end goal, how can one already be there alone before connecting with their partner. Like many other phenomenon, I came to realize, that many people would hence disagree on the nature of the island. While some would consider it an end goals, others might think of it as a mean to achieve a relationship.

The island of love could reflect a mystical, magical place surrounded by love. It might be that medium in which love is initiated and maintained. In real life, Elvis Presley describes the Hawaiian island, Kauai, as the island of love. The nature showers this island with care as it is so unique. Presley sings about how the island welcomes love and embraces is becoming a heaven on earth for lovers. Whether it is a state of mind, areal existing place or a deeply rooted phenomenon in the core of our soul; the island of love is a beautiful metaphor that could teach us a lot about love and about ourselves.