On The Importance Of Solitude

On The Importance Of Solitude

Solidarity in a time of hyper-connectivity.

89
On The Importance Of Solitude
pexel.com

I am an adamant believer in the value of solitude. When left with nothing but the tunnels of your own thoughts, you are forced to reflect, reassess, and relearn who you are and what you want to become.

Solidarity is highly underrated. Whether it is the odd fear of loneliness or a lack of comfort with their true selves, many fail to recognize the positive outcomes some alone time can gift you.

When left with just your mind, your thoughts begin to wander. Notice what you are thinking. Try to discern why these are the ideas that retain such space in your head. When you begin to notice patterns in your thoughts, you can draw conclusions on yourself. If you're continuously thinking about things that haven't happened, but that could go wrong, recognize this and try to sway your thinking to a more a positive outlook.

Being alone allows us to understand ourselves better, which translates into our relationships with others. Once you can determine why you think a certain way or respond in specific manners, your relationships will excel as you can communicate what you are feeling.

Unfortunately, there appears to be a stigma surrounding solitude. People who enjoy their alone time are apparently "isolated" or "lonely." There is a disparity between loneliness and being alone. Being alone holds merit. You are granted the opportunity to be entirely yourself. Opening up when you drop the image you present to the public is imperative for self-growth. Without others around, you are free from the wishes, expectations, and pressures of others. It is within this sphere that your self-awareness grows.

Do yourself a favor and disconnect. Spend some time with yourself and come to learn who you truly are. You will become a better version of yourself because of it.