​The Truth About Being 'The Funny Girl'

The Truth About Being 'The Funny Girl'

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

529
https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-person-woman-face-2015/

There are many identifiers that we as humans can claim. Odyssey is full of articles like this, from the sporty girl to the independent girl to the girl with any of these 16 personalities.

Throughout my life, I've often been known as many things. Dancer, sarcastic, sister, student, but funny is the one title I claim because of my character.

And here's the truth about living with this badge of glory:

The Good

There are so many good aspects of having a sense of humor, and you use this (talent, skill, an annoyance?) as much as possible.

Overall, you can thrive in this age of social media. Twitter, a personal but public place to post your favorite thoughts and jokes? Yes, please. Instagram? I actually recently had to retire from being a professional Instagram caption advisor. Gif keyboards are your favorite and are a perfect tool for any situation. This age of social media was made for people to show off and you use these tools to make as many people, including yourself, smile or laugh by blowing air out of their nose.

As a girl, being known as the funny one is empowering, because it's not a single physical characteristic. Your personality is the defining part of who you are, and when friends relate themselves to TV characters, you will always be the funny boy character.

Additionally, you know that your friends are your friends not for how you look. You are the funny one, and that's one of the factors that give your friendship worth. Overall, you do okay with people; whether you are an extrovert or an introvert, laughter is enjoyed by everyone. Meeting people is easy and fun because you have a new opportunity to make someone smile. Your humor makes strangers feel more comfortable in a new environment. You can help diffuse tension by your humor and hopefully make their days a bit brighter.

The Bad

The good and the bad thing about being "the funny one" is how much pride you take in this aspect of yourself. So when people, most of the time guys, diminish you by repeating your jokes louder or calling you silly and treating your humor like it's not as good because it comes from a girls' mouth, it sucks.

Secondly, the internet can actually be a problem because you either overthink or stress about your posts as you are always being asked to do other people's captions. I truly had to stop thinking about social media recently, and just make it whatever thoughts I have; this way, there is less pressure to post perfection instead of posting reality.

Lastly, one annoying thing about growing up the funny kid is that teachers, other adults, and some mild acquaintances use you as the butt of any joke, which can get annoying. It's great at times, and don't get me wrong, I prefer all jokes be directed at me rather than someone who would take them to heart, and in some cases being able to make a joke about me is practically my love language, but some people at the end of the day can cross a line.

The Ugly

The ugly about being the funny girl is pretty straight-forward. Let's be honest here, I'm only funny because I used to be ugly. Not in an adorable but also gross way like a pug or in a quirky, relatable way because I used to wear crooked pig-tails. But in an "are you actually some kind of chipmunk-alien?" (That's the only reason for the flying saucers of zits on your face). An I-have-no-pictures-from-that-time kind of ugly.

It really changes you, since you built personality out of necessity.

But building this humor has its drawbacks.

It causes a compulsive nature to your humor, a security blanket, in some cases, to hide behind. A constant performance that, while you take pride in, makes social functions at times tiring. It is hard to have a conversation or watch a movie without trying to make people laugh. It is hard for you to listen and get deep when necessary because you have convinced yourself your only role to play in conversations and therefore friendships are funny remarks. Or if you're watching a movie or show, it's hard to turn off your remarks and reactions to what is happening in the show.

So to the funny girl, be proud of who you are, but don't let any adjective be the true determinant of your worth.