The Olympics: A Race for Gender Equality in the Media

If the media was racing in article equality, they wouldn't even get the bronze.

38
People.com

Imagine that the following excerpts about male Olympic athletes are posted online following each athlete’s medal-winning event. Does anything seem unusual to you?

FATHER OF INSTAGRAM-FAMOUS BOOMER PHELPS WINS 4 GOLD MEDALS IN RIO

While Instagram star Boomer Phelps makes his mark on social media, his father has been busy in Rio de Janeiro. Michael Phelps, the father of Boomer, has just won his fourth medal of the 2016 Olympic Games.

Despite only having thirty-one photos on Instagram, Boomer has acquired over three hundred thousand followers in the past two months. Since the start of the Olympics last week, the account has been stocked with posts of little Boomer's daily outfits as he supports his father in Rio. Due to his growing popularity, The Baltimore Sun and First Post Sports have unofficially deemed Boomer the mascot for Michael Phelps and the rest of the Olympic squad.

The senior Phelps is the fiancėe of former Miss California, Nicole Johnson. They became engaged in February 2015, announcing it on social media shortly after Phelps popped the question. Johnson’s arm candy has mentioned in previous interviews that he was nervous to ask out the former beauty pageant queen.

Johnson attended the games to support the new father, despite the risk of contracting Zika. Boomer, although just barely three months old, has also traveled over five thousand miles from the United States to Rio de Janeiro with his mother and it is incredible to see such dedication come from the new family.

The 31-year-old male version of Katie Ledecky now has something to bring home to his successful wife, a graduate of USC in 2007, who currently works as a Sales Communications Manager at Yellow Pages. She has been employed by Yellow Pages since 2012 when she and Phelps first took a break from their relationship.

With Boomer and Nicole cheering him on from the stands, Phelps could gain a fifth gold medal in the 100 Meter Butterfly. Make sure you check out Boomer and Nicole’s Instagram profiles, @boomerrphelps and @nicole.m.johnson respectively, to find out.

TWIN BROTHER OF CARISSA ALLEN COMPETES IN RIO

Athleticism seems to run in the Allen family.

The brother of Northwest Christian University’s Carissa Allen has made the men’s track-and-field team for the 2016 Olympic Games.

Devon Allen, Carissa’s twin brother, will compete in the 110-meter hurdles.

Carissa was a key player on the women’s volleyball team for NCU. Although she was a busy college athlete, she always made time available to see her brother’s football games at the University of Oregon. She attended his first bowl game in 2013. The Alamo Bowl game was a big milestone for her brother Devon, and he thrives off of his sister’s support.

She will be in Rio de Janeiro to cheer on Devon. You will most likely be able to find her sampling many different Brazilian delicacies with the rest of the Allen family.

HUSBAND OF NUTRITIONIST SONNIE BRAND TRIUMPHS IN SYNCHRONIZED DIVING

Ever wonder how diver David Boudia stays so fit?

He’s married to Sonnie Brand, a registered dietitian nutritionist. Boudia met Brand during his undergraduate career at Purdue University and proposed shortly after graduation. They married in 2012.

Boudia recently competed in synchronized diving with his partner Steele Johnson. The duo, both sporting black Nike swim briefs, brought home the silver medal for the United States.

Boudia has one other person helping him stay fit for the Olympics ‒ a two-year-old little girl.

Boudia and Brand’s daughter, Dakoda, is currently in Rio de Janeiro with her mother to cheer on the veteran diver. Koda, as they call her, watches her father dive, but she’s still not sure what he actually does for a living. If Boudia had to guess her thoughts, he would sum them up as the following: “[First] he was up there on the platform and now he’s down here holding me and people are [still] all over.”

Keep that imagination, Koda. It will take you to great places.

Boudia, a husband of a nutritionist and a father of rambunctious two-year-old, should have no worries about keeping fit for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo. Boomer Phelps might even have some competition in four years when six-year-old Koda joins him in style.

Each excerpt above focused on the male athlete’s family, only mentioning the athlete’s own successes once or twice. It could be argued that the articles aren’t even about the athlete themselves, but rather about other people altogether.

These articles may seem unconventional, but in today’s media, they are very common. The articles only seem odd because they are written about male athletes.

Typically, female athletes are undermined with these media tactics. Instead of focusing on their successes and hard work, media outlets often highlight their relationships, husbands, or children.

This has been happening for years, but some recent examples include: calling Katie Ledecky the “female version of Michael Phelps” and publishing an article that used “wife of a Bears’ lineman” instead of Corey Cogdell-Unrein’s name.

The Chicago Tribune, the newspaper that was guilty of the latter example, has since fixed the title of their article, claiming that they were only “trying to make a global story local.” Their apology doesn’t relieve them of continuing the unjust media standards, though.

It doesn’t just stop at titles.

Most of the time, more than half of the article will be used to describe a woman’s relationship status. Continuing to use the Chicago Tribune article as an example, we can see that one of the paragraphs reads: “Cogdell-Unrein and Unrein, who met on a blind date the day before Super Bowl XLV in 2011, enjoy hunting together, but football generally prevents Unrein from joining his wife in her pursuit of elk and deer. They try to arrange waterfowl hunting trips during the bye week each season.”

For an article that is supposed to contain information about Cogdell-Unrein’s Olympic win, it sure sounds like the article has very little to say about Cogdell-Unrein’s winning trap shooting round, but a lot to say about her relationship with Unrein.

Many successful women, not just Olympic athletes, are subject to the media’s hypocrisy.

When will it stop? When will a woman’s success be just that ‒ a woman’s success? It doesn’t need to be compared to a male’s success in the same event. Katie Ledecky doesn’t need to be compared to Michael Phelps for people to know that she is successful. Women’s success does not need to be simplified either. People want to hear about Corey Cogdell-Unrein’s winning round in the Olympics. They want to know about her competition and how she got to the Olympics, not about the dates she goes on with her husband.

Men are not subject to this same hypocrisy, which is why the fabricated excerpts above seemed so out of place. An article about Michael Phelps’s four Olympic gold medals is mainly going to be about his medals and performances, not about his wife. Carissa Allen will be called “Devon’s twin sister,” not the other way around. David Boudia’s fitness will be credited to his own hard work, not his wife and daughter’s doing.

Male and female athletes compete in many of the same events, so why do we treat them so differently?

Male athletes and female athletes have one thing in common: they’re both athletes. We need to write articles about athletes, and we don’t need to change the way they’re written based on the athlete’s gender.