thank you sister

My Older Sister Is To Thank For My Independence And Strength

I've watched her for 19 years as she turned into an amazing woman.

258
Constance Woodard

There are a lot of women in my life I have to be thankful for influencing me on being strong. But one of the most important is you.

From the little girl that sat back and watched you for nineteen years. Watched you grow, watched you succeed, watched you fail, watched you mature. As your sister, I know that you are stronger than even you realize.

I know we grew up two separate ways, and I know we are complete opposites from each other. But even though we are so different, I know that I still have you to thank.

I learned so much from you.

All those moments when you thought I wasn’t paying attention. Or that you thought I was just being some annoying little brat that needed to leave you alone, those were the moments when I watched you most.

The moments you never realized and the moments you probably can’t even think of today.

The moments when I watched you take 30 minutes to do your makeup just so we could go ride our bikes because heaven forbid the cute boy in the neighborhood saw you with no eyeliner!

Or even the moment when I realized you were crying in mom's wedding and I couldn’t help but think it because you didn’t want mom to get remarried, but it was actually because you were so happy for our mother finding love.

Or when your biological dad came back into your life you didn’t know what to do or how to act. But you still put everything aside and tried to make time for him and give him a chance. Even if he never deserved the opportunity.

You have always put others before yourself. Even though they may not deserve it.

You are the biggest believer in loving like you’ve never been hurt.

And that's something I still strive for, even if it is one of your weaknesses. You love everyone for who you think they can be, but don't know how to love yourself for the true potential you have!

You packed up and went to school ten hours from home just to prove you could. You have always been career minded ever since you were fifteen! you do everything you can for the success of our family business.

You got married and had a miracle child. Then after realizing you weren’t happy with your marriage, you chose to move with your child all on your own.

Even with knowing from our childhood that being a single mother is one of the hardest things. But you still chose to do it because you weren’t happy and didn’t want your child to be unhappy.

You have always put other people before you, especially your little girl. And that's what makes you a great mom! You put her before everyone else!

You have always taught me if I’m not happy then change for myself, but never for others.

You always critique me and sometimes I can take it to heart. But I know it's your way of making sure I never give up on myself and never stop improving who I am.

I know we fight and I know we don’t have the closest relationship. I hate you at times and you hate me more. But no matter how much we may think we hate each other, we always know we can turn to each other no matter what.

We may go weeks without talking. Sometimes even months. But when we do talk and do get together we have a blast because that’s who we are. We are sisters and we love each other. Even if we can only handle each other for tiny amounts of time.

To my sister who I hate, love, despise, and yell at. Thank you.

Thank you for always being there and thank you for always being you.