It Is Okay To Not Be Okay

It Is OK To Not Be OK

Don't let the smile fool you. I may be smiling on the outside, but I am really screaming on the inside.

128

We all have our moments where we just want to pull a Troy Bolton in High School Musical 3 and scream at the top of our lungs in our safe place. Sometimes life is overwhelming and you just have to let all of your emotions out one way or another. If you're like me I always try my best to hold it all in until I am beyond overwhelmed and when that happens let the flow of emotions combust. We all think that we have to stay strong and put on this strong face. If you know me then you will know that no matter what is going on in my life I will always have a smile on my face, even if my emotions are clawing at me to come out. It is a rare occurrence when I cry outside of my own room. I only cry when I am alone whether it is in my room, my bathroom, especially when I am taking a shower.

Whenever I am crying I am always told that I am not a little kid anymore and how I should not be crying but, I always tell myself that if crying helps me then it is okay. Telling myself that made me realize that if it is okay for me to cry then it is perfectly okay to not be okay. Yes, I may not want the entire world to know that something is wrong with me but that does not mean that I should be putting on this strong face for the world. I should not have to pretend that I am always this bubbly girl and I should not have to be this strong person for everyone. Sometimes I need someone to be that shoulder for me to cry on, I need that person to just listen to me, but most of all; I want people to understand that it is perfectly okay to not be okay all of the time.

This day and age we all feel like we have to be a certain person and we have to keep up an appearance. We all believe that it's a weakness to accept that we are not okay. We believe that we have to hide all of our emotions when we are down but in reality, we don't have to hide anything. It is okay to accept that we are not okay. It is okay to show our emotions when we are down. It is okay to just want to cry when you need to let it all out. It is okay to not be okay and there is nothing weak about that.

So if you feel like you need to let all of your emotions out because you can't just hold it in anymore, do it. There is nothing wrong with it. You don't need to feel ashamed for letting go of all the frustration or for letting go of whatever is holding you back. Do what you need to do to make you feel okay again. I promise you that once you realize that you aren't okay things will get better. Once you accept that it is okay to not be okay you will feel better about everything and only then will you be able to share that beautiful smile you have with the world.