It Is Okay To Have No Idea What You Want To Do In The Future
Education

It Is OK To Have No Idea What You Want To Do In The Future

Deciding what you want to do in the future can be tricky, but it is okay to not know

266
Cassidy Garren

Coming into college I decided that I wanted to be a human physiology major, but quickly realized that was not something I was passionate about at all. College is the time to explore and find what you really enjoy doing, and find what you will want to spend your life accomplishing. If someone would have told me in high school that I would end up becoming a journalism major and love writing, I would have thought they were joking because in high school I hated writing. The reason for that though was because I was being forced to write and I was not writing about things I was passionate about. Now, about three years later I realized love writing and I am so excited to continue working on getting my degree in journalism.

The reason I found this out was that after dropping out of the human physiology major I started to explore my options, and take random classes that I thought I would enjoy. I ended up taking a journalism class and I fell in love. The class that I took had different people who had graduated from the University of Oregon come in to talk about what they were accomplishing with their journalism degrees, and it made me realize that I wanted to be able to accomplish the same things that they were. This is why I feel it is important to explore your options.

At first, I felt like I was the only person having no idea what I was going to do after college, but I shortly realized that there were a lot more people exactly like me having no idea or deciding to change their majors because they found something else that they enjoyed more. As a freshman especially it can feel like a huge task finding a major and completely investing in it when you don't know if it is the exact right fit. That is why everyone should know that it is okay to change your mind in college and nothing has to be set in stone. My freshman year I kept changing my mind about what major I wanted to pick until I found journalism and it just completely clicked. You need to find something that you feel you will fully fit into and will enjoy.

I am incredibly grateful that I did not push myself to continue on my original plan to become a human physiology major because I feel that I have found something that I will love doing for the rest of my life and that I will generally exceed at. I would not have realized this if I had not realized it was okay to not have a set plan for the future and for college and I think this is something a lot more people need to realize, that it is completely alright to not know what you want to do, you just need to slowly try to find it.