Ode To My Birth Giver Turned Best Friend

She's beauty and she's grace, she deserves to be Miss United States.

40
Vivid Screen

Dear Mom,

If I had a different mom I would punch her in the face and go find you. I know I don't say it enough but I love you to the moon and back. Words can hardly express how much I adore and appreciate you. Your love is the purest there is to receive. You deserve the world and so much more-- I only have three dollars, though, so I'll come through after my mix-tape drops. From my fetus days to now, you've always been my greatest supporter and it goes without saying that I wouldn't be where I'm at now without your tender, guiding hand.

Thank you

Thank you for carrying me in your womb for nine whole months. Thank you for giving me a childhood filled with love and laughter. Thank you for holding my hand and being the first face I would see whenever I had to go into surgery because I'm clumsy AF and hella uncoordinated. Thank you for not disowning me when the fire department showed up to our house because I thought I set the living room on fire.

Thank you for being at every Girl Scout meeting, basketball game, dance recital, parent-teacher conference (even though I begged you not to) and any other event that was important to me. Thank you for being the loudest and the proudest mom in all the land. Thank you for teaching me how to drive even after I went the wrong way on a one-way. Thank you for listening to my hood rat music. Thank you for letting me sleep in your bed after watching "The Conjuring" even though you warned me not to watch it (I'm still emotionally scarred).

Thank you for listening to me vent about irrelevant topics and for mad-dogging anyone who has ever done me wrong. Thank you for making me smile when no one else can. Thank you for making me the person I am today, for teaching me how to treat others with respect and how to never be afraid to chase my dreams. Thank you for believing in me enough to go out into the world on my own even though it scares you to death. Thank you for being a full time mom and a part-time best friend. You're my rock, my inspiration, and my greatest treasure.

I'm sorry

I'm sorry I prevented you from clubbing for nine months. I'm sorry I stuck weird things up my nose, for touching hot irons, and for running up the medical bills. I'm sorry for all the times I yelled "I hate you" just because I didn't get my way. I'm sorry if there are times that I seem ungrateful or unappreciative—the truth is I just don't voice how blessed I am all the time, but I should.

I'm sorry if sometimes I take my frustration out on you. I'm sorry for scaring you whenever I don't answer my phone or when I come home too late. I'm sorry for being a shady troll in my tween years. I'm sorry for all of the times I used bad judgement and ended up disappointing you. I'm sorry I almost set the living room on fire.

I'm sorry for tuning you out whenever you would lecture me on important subjects, but thank-you for having enough patience to tell me again. I'm sorry for draining you emotionally, financially, and physically. I'm sorry that I'm such a handful. If I were you, I would've put my difficult self for sale on Craigslist. I'm sorry I can never make up my mind on what I want to eat. I'm sorry I still don't know how to properly do laundry yet. I'm sorry that I act like a little shit sometimes.

I'm sorry I can't take you to college with me and that I ignore you when you push for me to apply for scholarships. My bank account is suffering that mistake, much regret there. Overall I'm sorry for everything and anything that I did and might do in the future that hurt your feelings. Just know that when I play you I play myself and if I could go back I would tell younger me to quit my games.

I love you

I love you, mom. I love being told that I resemble you. I love that you use your cute and meaningful nicknames for me around my friends. I love how you're so positive and compassionate to others. I love that you're the strongest female role model in my life. I love that you're my best friend. I love being your child. I love that you have no shame in bragging about me or my accomplishments.

Even though it slightly annoys me, I love that you spam my phone with the "where are you" texts because no matter how old I am, you'll always be concerned with my safety. I love that you reassure me of my abilities. I love how we never get bored of the movies "Sixteen Candles" and "Sleepless in Seattle." I love that not a day goes by that I have to question whether you love me or not. You're the Lorelai to my Rory and not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for you.

It's not easy, but you go above and beyond in being a mom. I hope I can live up to your name and make you proud in all that I do. Never forget: you is smart, you is kind, you is important. You add the best kind of spice to my life and it's comforting to know that I'll always have you on my side. Everything that I am and everything that I will be is all because of you, my darling mother. Without you life would not be possible. Literally and figuratively. I can only aspire to be half the woman you are. In the words of Roger Knapp, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my mommy you'll be."

Sincerely yours,

Your Adoring Offspring