An Ode To 2015

An Ode To 2015

28
An Ode To 2015
Shay Harris

While everyone has their New Year's resolutions set and ready after they eat way too much during the holidays, people often forget to set achievable goals for themselves. They get carried away in losing 20 pounds before Spring Break or saving $400 to go to the beach when the main thing they should be focusing on is self-love and being thankful for the things you have.

Self-love is something that has so recently became important to me. And when I say recently, I mean since my freshman year of college. Now, coming into college I would say that I had barely any self-love. I was too wrapped up in the stereotypes of high school to think about loving myself and what I stood for. Some people might just find that impossible because I am such an outspoken and very matter-of-fact person; but, let me be the first to tell you that the ones who often appear to have the most self confidence really have none at all.

Now flash back to three years ago (how in the hell am I a junior in college?!) when I stepped onto the place I am delighted to call a home that I created for myself: Lynchburg College. This is this place where I have become the person I am today. This is the place where I found my self-love and my self-confidence.

So without further ado, here are my thank you's of 2015.

Paige Parker -- Thank you for being my angel since we first lived together. There is no amount of thank you or anything that can compare to the actual thank you I owe you. Who would have known that we would ever be where we are now? If it wasn't for your endless love and support, I don't think I would be the same person I am today. You have become such a big influence and I appreciate you more than words can say. Thank you for accepting me at my absolute worst. Thank you for going on long rides to no where with me. Thank you for pulling me out of my moods. Thank you for eating food with me. Thank you for always supporting me. Thank you for loving my family like your own. Thank you for being my biggest fan. Thank you for accepting my weirdness. Thank you for trusting me with Delilah. Thank you for teaching me how to drive on the interstate. Thank you for having deep conversations about life with me. Thank you for teaching me self-love.Thank you for being my person. You are the Christina to my Meredith.

Stacey Hudson -- First of all, thank you for raising such an amazing human. She is one special gal and you have so much to be proud of (but I know we both know that). Thank you for being another set of ears that have never judged me. Thank you for showing me unconditional love. Thank you for sending me funny pictures. Thank you for supporting me. Thank you for being sassy and fabulous. I love ya.

Townhouse 1.1 -- Thank you for accepting and welcoming me with open arms during the hardest times I have had in college thus far. Thank you for letting me sleep on your couch, eat your food and for letting me finally move in. Thank you for never judging me for the extra ranch I use, for the way I look when I wake up, for forgetting about the bread in the oven and for excepting that I can't have real conversations in the morning without coffee first. I love you all and I am so happy to finally have a home at Lynchburg. Thank you for making it feel like home.

Kappa Delta -- Thank you for giving me the confidence I have never had before. Thank you for bringing me 48 girls who are always down for food, sleepovers and lib dates. All of you are such beautiful humans. I wouldn't be where I am without each and every one of you. Thank you for showing me acceptance from the very beginning. PC 46 -- thank you for sharing such a great experience with me. You all hold a spot in my heart. To the chapter -- thank you for being the organization that changed my life for the better. And a personal shoutout to you, Ellen Tyler -- thank you for connecting with me and for accepting me that night we had that conversation. You made me love Kappa Delta and I will forever love you for your self-confidence. You always tell me now that you are proud of the self confidence that I have but in reality that self confidence has so much to do with you. Love in AOT and sappy posts.

Cass -- Gal, you make my days brighter. Thank you for bringing simplicity and love to my life. You always know just what to say. Thank you for having two of the greatest parents who let me get drunk with them (shout out to you, Mr. & Mrs. Agee). Thank you for giving me weird nicknames, thank you for accepting me at my worst and for showing me what a real friend is. Thank you for always being spontaneous with me. Thank you for never judging me. Thank you for laughing with me. Thank you for being one of my Muskateer's. I am so excited to do 2016 with you.

Kelsey Mays -- You were my saving grace this semester, my darling. Thank you for always being down for coffee dates and endless gossip. I adore you and I adore the person you are. Thank you for never judging me. Thank you for always doing only one half of the study guide so I only have to do the other. Thank you for just being you.

Amber and Haley -- Despite all the craziness that has happened, there have never been two girls like the both of you in my life. Thank you for always accepting my weirdness and my little quirks. I know that things aren't how they used to be. This is kind of like a public apology -- from the bottom of my heart -- I am so sorry for everything that happened. But thank you for being you. Thank you for teaching me and for laughing with me. Thank you for supporting me even when you didn't agree with me. Thank you for accepting my love of cheese balls, my OCD about my sheets and for know what's good with my cinderella clock. Some of my favorite memories are the ones I have with the both of you.

Little -- Thank you for simply being you. I know this past semester wasn't what either of us thought it would be but, for what it's worth- the night I got you as my little has been my favorite night of my college career thus far. Thank you for being my wake up call, for always being brutally honest and for never sugar-coating anything. You have taught me so much and I want things to be different. I wouldn't change a thing about you because you are you and I will always love you unconditionally. Here's to making 2016 a better year with you. Thank you.

Allie Dietz -- You are one of my most favorite humans on this planet and I hope you know just how truly grateful I am for you. Thank you for being one the best role models I have ever had before. Thank you for being sassy and fabulous. Thank you for loving food as much, if not more, than I do and for always being sarcastic with me. Thank you for always sending me more than one text. Thank you for always listening to me. 2015 would not have been the same if I didn't have you. I love ya fam. AOT.

Katy Croft, Crissy Francis and Kirsten Gulick --You three made a difference in my life this year. You three gave me love, compassion and laughter. You brightened my life and supported me during important times in my life. Thank you for being amazing sisters. Thank you for accepting me. You have all three genuinely taught me the meaning of AOT. I love you.

Kelly Layne -- Thank you for being my angel. Thank you for always brightening my days. I adore you. I love you. You mean the world to me.

Seeeeeester -- Thanks for being the greatest sister in the world. I know I suck at texting and I am bad at communicating but thank you for always nagging me until I do answer. Thank you for always supporting me even when you don't agree with my decisions. I am grateful for you more than you know and I appreciate you a lot more than I tell you.

Terry Clay -- Thank you for showing me how to love and trust not only you, but myself. You have taught me self-love and self-confidence. Thank you for accepting me at my worst and loving me when I least deserve it. Thank you for always laughing at me. Thank you for always telling me the truth. Thank you for always knowing just what to say. Thank you for always handling my sass. Thank you for always going to Sheetz with me because I get scared. Thank you for loving slurpee's. Thank you for getting me the little baby Roscoe in my room. Thank you for teaching me how to play Call of Duty and thank you for getting excited with me when I got my first kill. Thank you for all the little things you do that I never actually say thank you for. Most importantly, thank you for being my best friend and for being my boyfriend. You have made 2015 a year I will remember. Thank you for spending this past year with me. I love you.

My parents -- Thank you for raising such an incredible daughter. (me, of course) Seriously, thank you for being such great parents. Thank you for always pushing me to be my best and showing me how to handle life. Thank you for always supporting me, even when I make horrible decisions. Thank you for believing in me when I couldn't believe in myself. Thank you for not getting mad at me when I cut my hair on my sister's birthday, or when I almost burned the house down cooking chicken in the microwave. Thank you for laughing with me, laughing at me and showing me the type of person I want to be. I love both of you more than I will ever know how to say. Thank you for being the best parents a crazy, sassy and sarcastic girl I could ask for.

And to Lynchburg College -- Thank you for being the home I created. Thank you for making me into the person I am. Thank you for giving me my best friends, my sisters and for supporting my future. You have forever changed me, my life and my future. Thank you for coming into my life when I least expected it. I can't imagine myself anywhere else.

Thank you, 2015. You have taught me so much more than I expected. Thank you for all the bumps and thunderstorms. Thank you for helping me find myself. Thank you for teaching me self-love, self-acceptance and self-confidence. Thank you for ending this chapter with the greatest support system, the best kind of love and some of the greatest memories.

Cheers to you, 2016. You have a lot to live up to.