Obsessed With "The Notebook?"

Obsessed With "The Notebook?"

Check out Charleston, South Carolina, for all your movie spots!

386
Obsessed With "The Notebook?"

If you’re like me, “The Notebook” is your favorite go-to movie when you need a break from studying. I’ve probably watched Noah and Allie fall in love a million times, and it never gets old.

If you’re obsessed with the movie (and finding someone just like Noah), you can probably name the best scenes without even thinking (hurry, name them) – the rowboat scene with the swans, the kiss in the pouring rain, or Noah's white house with the blue shutters.

If you’re really a fan of “The Notebook,” check out Charleston next time you travel to Myrtle Beach (it’s only about 100 miles away from there).

I went to Charleston earlier this year to learn more about the Civil War. However, I became a mindless fangirl when I learned many scenes from “The Notebook” were filmed there. In fact, I actually learned a lot about Charleston when I went creeping around town looking for these sites.

Boone Hall Plantation: Boone Hall Plantation is one of America’s oldest working plantations. The plantation house was used for the exterior shots of Allie’s summer house. Do you remember seeing Noah crash his pickup truck into the gates as he approaches the summer house only to realize that Allie already left for Sarah Lawrence College? (Rumor has it that Ryan Gosling accidentally crashed the truck into Boone Hall's gates, and this scene was ultimately left in the film).

Creek at Boone Hall Plantation: Who can forget the scene where Noah and Allie are in the canoe, he takes his shirt off (we all remember this scene now, right?) and then jumps in the water. This scene was shot in a creek behind Boone Hall Plantation. The other famous water scene with the swans was shot about 25 miles from Charleston in Cypress Gardens.

King/Mary Streets: We all remember the classic scene where Noah and Allie walk home after their first date at the movie theater. On their way back, they lie down in the middle of the street. They also dance in the street under the traffic light ("I'll Be Seeing You" gets me every single time). I wouldn’t suggest trying either of these with bae or you’ll end up road kill! In reality, the intersection of King/Mary Streets is congested, and there’s no traffic light. A tour guide said the traffic light was brought in specifically for the movie, and the scene was filmed on a cold morning at 3 a.m. (watch the scene again and you’ll see their breath in the cold air).

Calhoun Mansion (no pictures were allowed inside): Think of the inside of the Hamilton family summer house: Allie running down the stairs, Noah sitting in the living room while Allie fights with her parents, or Allie eating breakfast in the dining room with her mother. All of these scenes were shot in the Calhoun Mansion, a beautiful Victorian mansion built in 1876. The current owner is a wealthy lawyer who collects antiques from around the world and houses them in the mansion (a baby carriage used by Czar Nicholas II is in there). A tour guide said the antiques were removed and props were brought in during filming.

American Theater: The American Theater was used as the backdrop for the movie theater where Allie and Noah have their first date. The American Theater opened in 1942 and is known for its classic Hollywood marquee. It’s now used as a venue for events and conventions and is actually a few blocks from King and Mary Streets where the famous dancing/ laying in the street scene was filmed.

High Cotton restaurant: The High Cotton restaurant is the place where Noah walks by and spots Allie eating lunch with her new fiancé Lon. A guide mentioned that the actual manager of the restaurant was featured in the film. He plays the maître d' and greets Allie as she enters the restaurant.

Although I didn’t find Noah in Charleston (sad face), I did see some great historical sites and some neat places from “The Notebook.”