Oath of Enlistment

Oath of Enlistment

This week, I did it!

12
Oath of Enlistment

This past Wednesday I came one step closer of fulfilling my career goal of becoming a commissioned officer in the United States Military. I traveled to 14th street, where I met with my Officer Selection Officer. I arrived wearing a business suit at 10:30 am and I proceeded to go to the office on the 13th floor. I spent the next hour and a half signing paperwork and reading through statements of understanding, acknowledging responsibility and the punishment that I could face if I am to break the rules under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Out of all of the documents that I signed on that day, one of the most important one was the Department of Defense form 4 (DD-4) or “enlistment document.” This document has a written oath that I signed, and which I hope is not the only oath that I take as I look forward to taking the oath of commission. After I finished signing all of the paperwork, the Captain came into the room and began signing the papers that I had just finished signing. After all papers were signed, there came the best part of the day so far. I stood up from my chair, left the office room, walked across a small living room and stood at attention in front of the American flag, facing the windows that overlooked the city. The Captain stood in front of me, I raised my right hand, so did he, and much like the president’s oath to the office, I repeated the words that the Captain was dictating, “so help me God.”

I left the office, eager to finish the application process. I am now a “poolee,” soon I might be a graduating candidate of OCS. There is this sense of excitement, when the grass seems even greener and the finish line is now visible at the horizon, a finish line that will lead to a new lap around a new track. Now it is time to focus on finishing this race, to make it to June 1st and graduate college. Until then, the training will continue and the daily routine will be improved upon.