I Am More Than Just A Nursing Student

I Am More Than Just A Nursing Student

Wherever you are, be all there, but don't ever forget who you are and every step that it took to get you there.

440
I Am More Than Just A Nursing Student
KMarie Photography

Each individual is more than just their profession.

When you are out and about at the doctor's office, the hospital, the movies, the grocery store, out shopping, or even just making a quick stop at the gas station-- the employees that you may come in contact with are so much more than just their job title.

If you are a nursing student or know someone who is a nursing student, you know that your life is pretty consumed and focused solely on your school work for a good five semesters. During this time, people often forget that we are MORE than just a nursing student. Some of us are wives, husbands, fiancées, girlfriends, or boyfriends. We are someone's daughter or son. We are someone's best friend. Some of us are mothers or fathers.

SEE ALSO: 13 Truths Behind Being An Education Major

We are each unique individuals with our own lives and our own hobbies outside of school. We have each chosen to dedicate a big portion of our lives to becoming an RN but behind that future title we are so much more than that. This also applies to the instructors that teach us, they are so much more than just an instructor. They are also someone's best friend, someone's daughter or son, or even someone's husband or wife. They might be someone's mother or father if they have children, or even someone's grandmother or grandfather. Some are even students just like us, continuing their education.

They have chosen to live and breathe nursing and teach "us" the future nurses of healthcare, so lets not forget that they still have lives outside of the clinical setting and classroom. We vow to take care of others but that does not mean that we don't also feel pain, fatigue, sadness, anxiety, have surgeries, get illnesses, and feel every other human emotion. We are still human beings with feelings just like our patients.

SEE ALSO: Reasons Not To Be An Organ Donor

I believe the more you go through, the more you will be able to relate to your patients, so never forget just exactly who you are. Never forget what you've been through and never forget that although you are a nursing student, you are also a unique individual with a past, present, and a future. Everything that you go through will only help you help others in their time of need. Wherever you are, be all there. Don't ever forget who you are and don't forget every step that it took to get you there.