The Notre Dame Cathedral Fire Was No Match For One's Heroism

Not all was lost by the ravaging fire thanks to the heroic efforts of Father Jean-Marc Fournier.

35
https://www.everypixel.com/search?q=notre%2Bdame&stocks_type=free&image_id=4822679765771845738

All eyes were on France Monday as one of the most historical and holiest cathedral's in the world, the Notre-Dame Cathedral, caught on fire. The cathedral houses a number of artifacts, artwork, and Christian relics, so when the iconic spire came crashing down in flames, it seemed as if the 850-year-old gothic cathedral was doomed. However, out of the flames rose Father Jean-Marc Fournier and a multitude of rescue workers who heroically rescued some of the cathedral's most precious religious items as it was burning.

It is said that Father Jean-Marc Fournier and firefighters made a human chain in order to retrieve the items, despite the obvious danger it posed. The Crown of Thorns and the Blessed Sacrament were amongst some of the items saved and transported to Paris City Hall for protection thanks to the heroic actions of those who risked their lives to save them. The Crown of Thorns is said to have laid on Jesus' head as he was crucified and is only on display during Holy Week, which happens to be this week. The Crown of Thorns was brought to Paris by French Monarch Louis IX, who later became Saint Louis IX, and who's tunic was also saved from the fire.

Father Jean-Marc Fournier has been praised as the ultimate hero, for he not only risked his life for these relics, but he served as a military chaplain in Afghanistan and was one of the first people to respond to the Bataclan terrorist attacks in 2015 where he helped those to freedom, held those who were dying, and prayed with those who lost loved ones.

Despite the burned and damaged monument, the Notre-Dame Cathedral still stands thanks to the efforts of over 500 firefighters and men like Father Jean-Marc Fournier. Worldwide funds to rebuild the cathedral are already in the millions, proving that the fire was no match for the love and esteem the cathedral possesses.