The Cathedral Of Notre Dame Engulfed In Flames

As Paris's 856-year-old structure caught fire, leaders and civilians unite in order to find answers and rebuild the Cathedral of Notre Dame.

19

The Cathedral of Notre Dame is a historical monument in Paris that took more than 100 years to build and finished in 1345. The church attracted many tourists each year and held mass for Roman Catholics every sunday.

At 6:30 P.M. on Monday the 15, 2019, the Notre Dame Cathedral caught fire causing detrimental damage to the structure of the building. The wooden roof and the spire of the Cathedral were damaged by the flames but the two main towers were saved during the efforts to extinguish the fire which took nine hours. There were many relics and important paintings within the Cathedral; some of which were saved and the rest are being restored at the Louvre Museum. Many leaders such as, President Trump, Queen Elizabeth II and Donald Tusk have already shared their condolences with the French President.

There is currently an investigation in order to pinpoint the exact cause of the fire but the answer is still not clear. Many theories about the fire's cause have surfaced and the most discussed is that the tragedy could have been a deliberate terror attack on France. Paris officials such as Remy Heitz have commented on the fire stating that the cause was an accident and not intentional.

Efforts to rebuild the Cathedral are being discussed and the President of France, Emmanuel Macron, has revealed that he wants it rebuilt in the next five years. Setbacks to the restoration of the monument include the preservation of original infrastructure and a lack of trees large enough to create the wood frame of the monument. Many people have already donated large sums in order to see the Cathedral rebuilt sooner rather than later. The total donations that have currently been received for the rebuilding of the Notre Dame Cathedral add up to 679 million dollars.

As Paris, locals and Notre Dame Cathedral enthusiasts are saddened by this tragedy, many people are joining together in order to rebuild the monument together.