An Open Letter To My 18 Year-Old Self

An Open Letter To My 18 Year-Old Self

Here's a few things you should know...

14
An Open Letter To My 18 Year-Old Self

Dear 18-year-old me,

I'm writing to you as a 19 soon to be 20-year-old, and even though that doesn't seem like a far time away, a lot has changed in your life. Right now, in your Sophomore year of college you are struggling to find yourself. All of your friends are back at school again, and you're left home alone because you chose to commute to school. Even though at times you regret not going away for college, you will soon thank yourself for choosing to stay home. You're going to realize that the "college" life isn't your personality, and you enjoy being home with your family. Even though the beginning of your semester is off to a rough start, this will be the best year of your life.

For one, you're going to make two amazing friends at school, Caitlin and Alyssa. You will walk into your Comm Theory class and sit next to them and from that day on you will be the best of friends. These will be the people that you will spend almost every day out of the week with, and will help make your classes somewhat bearable. You will form a friendship with them that you know is going to last way after you all graduate.

You're going to experience a heartbreak, unfortunately. You'll realize that high school romances don't alway last, and people change when they go to college, but that's okay. The truth is you've changed too. You're no longer that quiet girl who gets pushed around and doesn't speak up when she is treated badly. You've grown stronger because people have left you. You've changed into a person you're actually proud of.

You're going to be angry, for awhile. But that is completely normal. But let me let you in on a little secret, you're not going to be angry forever. Eventually you will move on, and soon forget about all the reasons you were even angry in the first place. You'll see that he has moved on too and you will be happy for him. This is mainly because you will soon come to know one of the best people you ever have in your life.

Let me explain:

A few months after getting your heartbroken, you'll receive a text from your sister with a picture of a guy, and she'll ask "do you think he is cute?" You're going to be totally confused and reply yes (because he is extremely handsome) but you'll think "wait how old is he?" Because his facial hair makes him look like he's 25, while you look like you're 12 (unfortunately two years later you still do).

Your sister will explain that he is her friend's brother who is single as well and she will ask if you want to talk to him (this is your sister's way of trying to cheer you up). Being open-minded of course you will reply yes. So you let your sister give him your number and he will text you that night and this will be the start of your whole year's turn around.

At first, you're going to be completely closed off once you realize that things are getting serious. And that's okay. You're not the type of person to jump right back into something after recovering from a rough break up. But something that is so amazing about this guy is, he gets that. He will never force you to make a decision or make you feel like you are wasting his time because you're not ready to get into a relationship. He will genuinely care about you, and will want to be in your life either as a friend or something more.

Eventually you will let go of those fears of opening up to another person for the fear of getting your heartbroken again, because you will come to realize that he's different. He's mature, funny, open-minded, intelligent and shares the same values as you do. He's everything you've ever wanted in a guy, and more. He will bring a side out of you that you love and will overall make you want to become a better person. He will make you the happiest you've ever been.

You'll sit and talk with him for hours about absolutely anything, and time will seem to fly by when you're with him. Your best friend will approve (because obviously you need her approval), and the three of you will spend a lot of time together too. You will be able to be yourself around him, and his weirdness will be compatible with yours. You're going to love his family and they will welcome you with open arms. Overall, meeting him will be the best thing that could of happened to you and it will make you understand why it didn't work out with anyone else.

Going into your Junior year, you'll begin to learn what you want to do with the rest of your life. You'll realize that you love to write and you'll start your own blog where you can write about anything that's on your mind. You'll apply for an internship that you're really interested in, and end up getting the position.

So as you can see, things are going to start looking up for you. Even though this year has had a rough start for you, it will only lead you to greater things to come. Keep your head up and keep chasing your dreams.

Love always,

The happier version of you