15 Things I've Learned About College Life (So Far)

"So far, it has been fantastic."

23
Rennett Stowe

Hello! I am Victoria and I am a freshman in college. It’s strange saying that I am a freshman again. I got so used to saying I’m a junior or a senior, but now I’m back to the beginning.

I moved across the country, from sunny Southern California to Boston, and it was, to be completely honest, a little terrifying. But, of course, I kept in all of my anxiety, replacing it with excitement for the future. Yes, I was excited, but moving across the country, away from the sunny skies and beaches, without my family, is a little nerve-wracking.

After spending a couple of days exploring Boston with my father, I finally moved in. I moved into a relatively big room with a great roommate, which is all I could ask for. But, I have to say, it was strange moving my whole life into a new and strange room that was vastly different to the one that I call home. I kept noting the differences between Boston and Costa Mesa, and I kept thinking to myself, “Will I ever be able to really call this my true home?”

Eventually, my father had to go to the airport, and I remember him leaving in the Uber so clearly. That last wave was a little heartbreaking, but also, in a way, freeing. I knew that I’d still be able to call or text whenever I wanted, so I still held onto that strand of hope that he would pick up.

Then, I was on my own. Off on a new adventure. With no direction from anyone, but instead by myself, alone in a whole new world. It was not what I was used to, to say the least. I was used to having a sort of order, a plan. I could always ask what I should do next, but this time, I would get no answer, I would have to make up a solution for myself.

It was liberating, but also horribly petrifying.

I would have to come up with something to do if my roommate wasn’t in the room. I would have to come up with what I wanted to eat because no one would be cooking for me. I had to make sure that I was studying because no one would tell me what to do. I would have to come up with things to do when I am completely and utterly bored.

To say the least, it was a lot to process.

But I kept marching on.

Before I knew it, classes were starting, and I was ecstatic. I finally had something to do with my day instead of sitting around, coming up with something to do in a place I barely knew. The teachers were great and the courses sounded incredibly exciting. It was all I could hope for in a college, and I was looking forward to moving on. Of course, there have been some bumps in the road, which I won’t get into, but I would say that the pros have definitely outweighed the cons.

As of writing this, I just completed my fourth week of college (well, only two and a half weeks of classes), and I’d like to share some things that I have learned.

1. It might have been scary at first, but taking risks can have an amazing payoff

Let’s just say that I took a major risk and I was nervous out of my mind when I did it. But, in the end, I pushed through the fear and I ended up with the end result that I wanted. It’s honestly one of the major highlights of my college experience so far, and I’m so happy that I took a leap and got out of my comfort zone.

2. The best thing to do when you’re bored is to explore

Exploring the city has been some of my most favorite memories so far in college. If you ever find the time, venture out and explore the new place that you have chosen to call home.

3. There will be many obstacles that you will need to cross

I have had many times where I have doubted myself as a journalist and as a student. I didn’t think it would happen this early, but it did, and I felt terrible for it. But things like this will happen, and if they don’t happen within the first couple of weeks, it will happen at some point in your college career. When it does happen, DO NOT FREAK OUT. I know that it’s cheesy, but everything does happen for a reason. Just learn from your mistakes, and hope for a better tomorrow.

4. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE

I feel like this point speaks for itself, but procrastinating honestly is the worst thing to do in college. Especially if you have an 8:00 class the next day. I 100% do not recommend procrastinating. I ended up staying up until 3:00 am one night because I couldn’t figure out how to approach an essay, and the next morning was absolutely horrible. Just don’t do it. Make a planner or something, I don’t know. Just don’t procrastinate.

5. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is take a break

College is hard. There are countless essays and presentations, and it can get overwhelming. If you do have free time, take a break. Go outside. Watch Netflix. Read a book. Of course, do not procrastinate (see above), but take some time to yourself, you don’t know how good it feels until after you’ve done it. You’ll be rejuvenated and happy because you would have relaxed for once rather than always stressing about the next assignment. (That being said, if taking a break stresses you out, then DO NOT DO IT. But, if you also didn’t procrastinate, then you can take a break afterward and get a good night’s sleep. Number four and five go hand in hand in that way.)

6. When in doubt, talk to the teacher

Unlike in high school, I have actually talked to some of my teachers many times about questions that I have had about assignments. It’s better to know you are doing it right than guess and do it completely wrong. You don’t want to have horrible grades in your first semester/quarter.

7. If you have the money, go to the grocery store

Honestly, college food is pretty terrible. So, instead of having to go to the gross dining hall every day, find your nearest grocery store and get some real food. My roommate and I end up going all the time because we feel better eating food that we actually like instead of having to deal with the long lines and mediocre food from the dining halls and school cafés. Trust me, you’ll never regret it. (Note: only do this if you have the money for it. I don’t want you to have to feel obligated to do this.)

8. Invest in some shower sandals…

Just trust me on this one.

9. …also a mattress pad…

The beds are not the most comfortable. If you like a soft bed, definitely get something you can sleep beforehand because, honestly, what they give you can barely be called a mattress.

10. …and a Brita filter

You never know what’s in that tap water…

11. Never do laundry on a Sunday

At least at my school, the laundry room is so packed because everybody seems to want to do their laundry on that day. It takes forever to get a wash/dryer, and if you’re late to get your laundry, some people get impatient. That means that they will take out your laundry and replace it with their own because you neglected to take care of your own stuff. I’ve never had the pleasure of having that happen to me, but there can be piles and piles of laundry hanging out because people didn’t take theirs out. It gets crazy in there. Long story short, don’t do it on Sundays and always remember to take care of your laundry.

12. Always ask for gift cards

If your parents or someone wants to give you a present, ask for a gift card. For my birthday, my mom got me a gift card to Chipotle and it has honestly been one of my favorites. I get to go somewhere other than the dining hall and can get actual food and it’s just amazing.

13. Don’t buy books after school has started, buy them as soon as you get your book list

So many people bought their books after school started, and it caused the mail room to get backed up for everyone else. Also, it annoys the teacher to have to postpone homework because not enough people have the books that they need, so, in order to get on the professor’s good side, just buy/rent them early.

14. Remember to bring photos and other items with personal meaning

Whether you’re going far away or staying in state, it’s always nice to be able to have the memories of your home, family, and friends. It keeps you grounded and, on the bad days, it can make you smile.

15. Lastly, don’t forget to keep in touch with your close friends and your family

You don’t know how much you miss them until you call them again. Whether you call, text, or FaceTime, just hearing from them can sometimes be the best part of my day. I’ve even made a schedule for when I call them, just so that I can keep up with their lives as well. It will make you a little happier, and, of course, it will make your family extremely happy to be able to hear from you again. Trust me, it’s worth it.

This incredibly long list has some of the things that I’ve learned in the short time that I’ve been to college, but I thought that I’d share it anyways. College is pretty rough, but, in the end, I know that it’ll be worth it. No one has to follow anything on this list, but I think that they’re helpful for myself, so I’m passing it on to whoever is reading this. (Or should I say, if anyone is reading this.)

For those who are like me and are anxious introverts, it’s ok to be like that. You’ll meet someone like you at some point, just don’t always go hiding in your room. Trust me, I know that this is the most terrible advice to an anxious introvert, but getting out of my comfort zone proved to be the best thing for me. Of course, I have my moments of having to have alone time, but going out by myself or going to a performance has been great, and I highly recommend it.

To whoever is reading this, I hope that you have a great time in college. I hope that it’s the time of your life. I don’t know what my next four years will be like, but I’m hoping for the best. That’s all I can do at this point. But so far, its been fantastic.