Notable Contenders For The College Football Playoff

The obvious, the maybes and the sleepers.

4

The Ohio State University came out on top of the first-ever four-team College Football Playoff National Championship, and after a successful inaugural season we are just a few weeks away from another go at this new system. With a selection committee deciding the four teams that will get a shot at the national championship, anything can happen. Last year, there were questions about the four picks but, now it's a blank space. Anything can happen including upsets, comebacks and complete downfalls of college football's great. Here are some of the most notable contenders for the second College Football Playoff.

The Obvious

The Ohio State University

Ohio State won the CFP last year and have a very good chance of repeating. While winning the national championship as the fourth seed and with a third string quarterback, the Buckeyes prevailed as the underdog, but entering this season Ohio State comes on top as the heavy favorite. The first two string quarterbacks are both back from their injuries and are ready to make up the lost time, especially with the original first string Braxton Miller switching positions to wide receiver.

University of Alabama

Led by coaching legend Nick Saban, Alabama came in to the playoffs as the number one seed but fell to Ohio State. Alabama has been dominating college football as of late while living in the always dangerous SEC and no doubt they will prove their worth again this year. Although losing star wide receiver Amari Cooper to the NFL, Alabama will be able to still make waves this season with consistent coaching. With the difficulty of the SEC all Alabama needs to do is win the conference and will most likely earn a spot in the playoff.

Texas Christian University

TCU looked as if they were going to make the playoffs last year being ranked third the week before the selection committee met, but then watched the playoff from home after moving down three spots to sixth. The Big 12 is no joke with Baylor University challenging them every year. With Trevone Boykin leading the Frogs, TCU has a very reasonable chance to contend in the Playoff.

Baylor University

Who else would have the best shot of making the playoff but the first team out of last year's playoff. Coming in at fifth in the rankings this past year Baylor has always proved to be a strong team. With some of the best receivers in the game Baylor is going to prove to be a challenge for any team that faces them. TCU versus Baylor will probably the most important game in all of college football this year, and the outcome could result in either team missing or gaining access to the playoff.

The Maybes

Michigan State University

Every year, the Spartans seem to come close to being atop of the rankings, but are never able to pull the trigger. Michigan State's only two losses this year both appeared in the national championship matchup, Oregon and Ohio State, and showed they can work late in the year by winning the Cotton Bowl in exciting fashion over a tough Baylor. There is no doubt in a tough Big 10 conference Michigan State can prove themselves to the selection committee.

Auburn University

Auburn appeared in the national championship two years ago and was unable to repeat their magical season last year. With a cast of new faces Auburn definitely has the new spark it needs to be able to make a strong comeback. Auburn comes in at seven in the preseason rankings, which is a good spot for them to make some moves towards the top four.

The Sleepers

Michigan University

Michigan certainly had no chance to make to the playoff last year holding a losing record but they are coming in this year as an exciting team to watch. One thing comes to mind that will contribute to their new found success this year which is Jim Harbaugh. The former San Francisco 49ers coach will pick up his college coaching career in the former Big 10 powerhouse. Harbaugh's success with the 49ers will most likely translate to the college scale.

Notre Dame University

Notre Dame has always been a football powerhouse, just ask Rudy, but after last years disappointment of a season they are now in the sleepers category. Notre Dame started the first half of the season undefeated and lost a very close game to the other undefeated team, Florida State; they continued a downward spiral after that. Although their starter Everett Golson transfered to Florida State, backup Malik Zaire showed flashes of potential and will most likely work very well with coach Brian Kelley.