If You Want To Avoid People Thinking You're A Stupid Millennial, Follow These 9 Tips

Make your Momma proud and learn your manners.

991
Instagram

Our generation forgets manners, it's fact. It's half of the reason that older generations say that we're the worst.

But honestly, they're too focused on the negativity of us than the positives. I mean, yeah we're all closer to our phones than we are to nature or even our extended family, but I guarantee if us millennial's remembered the manners that we were taught as a kid, then our momma's, grandma's and the old man down the street would have a very different perspective on who we are.

So, that being said, make your momma proud with these manners to remember:

1. Don't wear a baseball hat inside.

Honestly, remember that you should always take your hat off in a restaurant. Take it off in movie theaters and during class. Hats are meant to be worn outside, so when you DO go inside, take off the hat you're wearing (unless it goes with your outfit, but baseball caps don't count).

2. Use table manners.

This is one of the biggest things that my mom taught me. Always, always act polite in a restaurant: elbows off the table, keep your napkin on your lap, thank the person serving you. And for the love of God, use a fork.

3. Say please and thank you.

ALWAYS say please and thank you. Thank the lady that held the door for you (and hold the door for the next guy), thank the checkout lady at Target, and the Starbucks lady that looks exhausted. Thank-you's make people feel appreciated, and can brighten up someone's day. Hell, even throw in a compliment. Say you like their hair or something, or their shirt. Whatever you want.

4. Try not to swear (at least not in public).

Okay, everywhere you go isn't a frat house. Sometimes it's okay, like when you drop your phone and it shatters or if you drop your entire Starbucks Frappuccino on the concrete and it spills everywhere (and yes, I have screamed numerous swear words when these have happened to me).

But, at the end of the day, try and keep your language to yourself. You can think these words but translate them into something more PG, even if you're out with all of your friends at Chic-fil-A; use your manners, and shut the fuck up.

5. Keep negativity to yourself.

You wouldn't go on a first date or to a job interview and start complaining about how you knocked over your cup of coffee at breakfast, would you? Or about how much you hate your best friend's new boyfriend?

I didn't think so, so that being said, keep those negative thoughts to yourself. Try and stay positive in public, no matter how hard that may be.

Just, basically keep the bitching to a minimum. It looks bad if you're complaining and makes people not want to be around you.

6. Keep physical appearance comments to yourself.

Don't point or talk about the way that other people look. Pointing is, honestly, one of my worst habits. If someone looks not up-to-par with the way that you would expect someone to, keep that comment to yourself and don't insult someone just because you can.

Keep your mouth shut until you at least get back in your car with your friends, or until that person you wanted to comment on is 110% gone.

7. KNOCK

Knock before you go in, anywhere. Whether it be your boss's office, your friend's room, or your grandmother's house, always knock first. Surprise entries are never fun, and I've been walked in on half-naked (and a few times fully naked) more times than I can count. It's not fun for either party involved, so watch out.

8. Quit playing on your phone.

Stay off your phone at dinner, and stay off your phone when you're around your older family members. People love saying our generation is attached to our electronic devices so it's better to just pretend they don't exist for a little while.

Trust me, your girlfriend, Tinder, Snapchat, and your sorority sisters can wait.

9. Your physical appearance matters more than you realize.

Don't you dare go out in public in your pajamas. I'm serious. Always try and look some form of presentable, because a little bit of trying goes a long way.

Even putting on a little mascara, or brushing your hair into a clean ponytail, or putting on a nice t-shirt and not the one you slept in matters. People treat you better when they know you put effort into your appearance - it is one of the biggest things that my mother taught me. Trust me, it matters what you look like.

So, there you have it; follow these steps and your mother won't be embarrassed to go in public with you. Plus, you won't get those lovely side-stairs from people just for being younger.