To All The Christian Guys, I'm Not Your Proverbs 31 Woman

I'm not your Esther, Mary, Ruth or Martha, I'm ME.

722
https://unsplash.com/photos/FWdIHA4DAuc
https://unsplash.com/photos/FWdIHA4DAuc

I think somewhere along the lines of good intentions, and a love for the Lord, turned Christian dating into weird, unrealistic expectations no one can fully uphold.

There are great guys out there, and this isn't to put anyone down.

But the truth is, not all of us women can uphold these high expectations.

Many of us are no longer virgin hand holders, kissers, or huggers.

Some of us have crazy pasts, and we're still messy.

Proverbs 31, If you haven't read it, is a great verse.

And I'm not going to spell it out for you now, but it basically describes the virtues of a godly woman.

Saying she's a hard worker, a supporter, filled with wisdom, and grace.

It's undoubtedly an amazing example to follow, but the truth is we as women look to be like that, and men look for that in a girlfriend or a wife. But the truth is, we aren't going to be that.

Not all of us are going to be these Proverbs 31 women, we won't all be like your moms, some of us won't be able to cook, a lot of our Bibles are new, and we don't have covers for them.

Not all of us work with children or sing.

And that's just the start.

Some of us have tattoos, ex-boyfriends, broken homes, but that doesn't make us trouble.

I understand wanting to be with someone who shares your same beliefs, someone you can grow with, and learn from.

I understand wanting a woman who loves Jesus and has a good head on her shoulders.

But I believe each and every woman is far more valuable than rubies, we are hardworking and can be very supportive.

Don't shut a woman down because she isn't your fantasy woman, because fantasies aren't real.

Don't look for perfection when you aren't perfect yourself.

I'm not sure in which book, or which youth group it was communicated to raise the standers so ridiculously high.

But I'm not here for it.

I'm speaking on behalf of all the women who have been made to feel less than, not good enough, or even cheated slightly.

Because none of us are that Proverbs 31 woman, maybe from time to time all of us, guys and girls, portray these characteristics from time to time but the reality is we need Jesus on a day to day basis because we can't be that Proverbs 31 woman on our own.

And that's what we should all look for, someone who strives to be better.

Who isn't naturally perfect, because none of us are, sorry.

I'm not the Proverbs 31 woman, and chances are neither, are you?

I can't live up to your expectations, or your mom's expectations, I'm just me.

A gem with a few scuff marks, and some slight cracks, but I'm still worthy.