So You Just Graduated College and You Don't Know Your Next Move, You're Not Alone.

It's okay to not know what your next move is.

10
https://unsplash.com/photos/jCIMcOpFHig
Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash

Imagine that you are walking across the stage to be handed your diploma or you are sitting at a desk thinking about how unhappy you are with your life. It is okay for you to be unhappy because what you do next will determine if you want happiness or death. If you suffer at a job that you have, it's okay to look into a career change. If you are walking across the stage to be handed your diploma and you don't know what's next, that's okay. Sometimes there are many tiny steps before you get to what you really want. I'm currently in that state of mind. I have a history of staying at jobs that don't make me happy for the sake of having a job.

While I understand that one needs a job to survive this life, I am learning to not sacrifice my mental health in doing so. I used to deal with my suffering in not so healthy ways that have led me to where I am today. Its not the end of the world because I am still here and breathing, but it was enough for it to become a wake up call. I find myself going to work and being drained as I walk through the door. The sad part is that my job is the easiest job in the world and I'm paid well for it. That should make me happy, but it truly doesn't.

While the job itself is easy, I feel stuck in it. It's like an endless cycle, like a habit, it is hard to get out of it. The politics and the vibe is enough to drive anyone crazy. The only reason I am able to hold on is that I am able to work on separate projects while at work. I am able to work on projects like this while waiting for my next assignment. You don't normally hear me complain about my line of work, but its mind numbing when it becomes stagnant.

Right now, I am looking into options with my degree. The traditional route is education, but I want my options. I am going back to school, so right now I'm seeing if its worth going back for education or to continue from my bachelors. Having a degree in History will not get you anywhere right away, but I'm so happy that I did it. It helped me understand the world from different perspectives. It allows the person to see from multiple sides and it teaches empathy.

So if you're unhappy, it is okay to look to other options. Always look while working on yourself because you don't want to be without money. Go on trips and have mental health days because it helps to keep a fresh mind. When one has a fresh mind, it helps keep a person on their path. If you are stuck in the job that is draining, make sure you take a second and breathe deeply for a minute. If you don't know how to belly breathe, look it up because it helps keep the mind fresh.