It's Not Goodbye, It's See You Later

It's Not Goodbye, It's See You Later

College comes and goes, but your friends will last a lifetime.

It’s that time of year again. The air is crisp, the radio plays “Jingle Bells” over and over until you need an Advil or 10, there are twinkly lights every corner you turn, and most importantly, you’re reunited with your familia. The thing is, before coming to college I didn’t know I would have a new family of my own — my friends.

Don’t get me wrong, I love coming home to my family! But it wasn’t until I had to say so many goodbyes before embarking on my journey abroad that I realized just how much I would truly miss my family at school.

Over the span of the past three years, it has become apparent to me that the word “friends” simply did not suffice to summarize the relationships I have made at school. They’re not my friends — they are my family.

I live in a pink and purple house (you can call me Barbie it’s fine) with thirteen other girls. While you might think this sounds insane, and yes at times it can be, this semester has been one I will truly never forget.

Whether it’s sitting on our couch, “Green Monster,” until we’ve literally melted into the cushions, or having spontaneous dance parties at 1 A.M., I can safely say no matter where I am or what I’m doing as long as I am with these girls I am laughing until crying (maybe even peeing sorry ok it happens).

Now, I don’t want you to think that you just jump into college as a freshman and BOOM you have a solid a** friend group just like that. It can be hard to navigate your way around until you find those people who really get you for you.

I can safely say that I was a lost dog my freshman year — I didn’t really have a core squad and I didn’t know if I ever would. These things take time! But once you find those people that come into your life and make it so hard to say goodbye to, you know that they are people you will never let go.

To my ladies in Pink and Purple (creative name for our house right?!), thank you for changing my life. You are each so brilliant, creative, hilarious, and unique in your own way and I mean it when I say I don’t know what I would do without each and every one of you.

To my friends graduating next semester, thank you for giving me some of the most hilarious and flat out insane memories I will always never forget.

As abroad approaches — an experience I am so thankful and thrilled for- it brings me such joy to know that I have people in my life that make it so hard to say goodbye to. We’ve laughed, we’ve cried, we’ve sweated our booties off dancing, and now we’re about to embark on incredible journeys of our own. Wishing you all the best of luck with what lies ahead and please remember — it’s not goodbye, it’s just see you later.