Believe Me, You Are Not A Burden
Mental Health

Believe Me, You Are Not A Burden

It's hard sometimes, but we can get through this.

122
Believe Me, You Are Not A Burden
Katelyn McKinney

You, the frustrated, the upset, the confused and the downcasted. Maybe you are reading this with a heart full of sorrow that you just can't explain. Or you know exactly what has you feeling heavy and feel as if nothing can brighten your mood. I just want to tell you that it is OK. It's alright to be upset and not understand your circumstances. You aren't alone, I promise.

Let's get through this together.

If you're anything like me, then it is hard to get out of a mood once you are in one. Once something upsets you, it can stick with you for what seems like forever, never letting you feel joy. No one and nothing can seem to break you out of this invisible box that you're suffocating in. You might be really good at hiding it too, acting as if nothing is bothering you so that you don't feel like a burden to others. Let's stop right there — you are not a burden. This is a common misconception that slips into our minds and eventually grows and grows until we believe it. I am here to tell you that you are loved by God, your family, your friends and even random strangers. My heart goes out to you too. So much so that my goal is to help you put a little pep in your step.

Let's start with this:

Name two things that you are thankful for or are blessed with. This can be anything, a roof over your head, running water, a car, a phone, your family, your friends, your adorable dog, your health, your ability to bring joy to others, food to eat and so much more. Sit for a second and think of two things, I'll wait.

Now that you have those two things, write them down somewhere. If you're without paper and pen, put it in the notes section of your phone/computer. I'm being serious, so I hope you do it. Now, think about how blessed you are to have/do those two things. Rejoice over those two blessings in your life and remember them. If you are ever feeling down, pause and start thinking of those two things, or maybe even add more to your list.

Next, I want you to smile. Continue to smile while you think about something you love. What makes you happy and brings you joy? Is it chocolate, your dog, your kids, your mom, sunshine, fall weather? There is just SO much to love! The world is filled with the love and glory of God, we just sometimes forget to notice it.

So, friend, it's OK that you're sad. But I know that there are others, including myself, who want to see you genuinely smile.

I hope this was able to help you, even it if it was only the tiniest bit. I encourage you to go pursue things in your life that bring you absolute joy. Leave behind the things and people who only bring you down. We don't have enough time in our day to be anything but happy.