11 Things All Northerners Need To Know In Order To Survive In The South

Warning: it's not all sunshine and smiles, though it is most of it.

1170
tkwilson23 | VSCO

I'm originally from Alabama, but I've called Upstate New York home for over a decade. I wanted to go back south for college when I graduated high school. Thing is, once I got back south I realized how much I had forgotten about living in the deep south. It wasn't like I remembered, both in a good and bad way. For all my northern friends who want to travel south, here are a few pointers to help you survive in the southeast.

1. One word… INSECTS!

Gnats and mosquitoes like to swarm around like the irritating pests they are when you have the least amount of patience. Cockroaches are never-ending, seemingly impossible to kill invaders of your home. They also get regrettably large in size, and they’re really fast and like to scare the living daylights out of you when you least expect it.

2. Sweet tea and fried food

You may not like sweet tea and fried food personally, but you are not allowed to say anything bad about it if you look to make friends in the south. Most southerners drink sweet tea like it's water, and fried food is a staple in the southern diet. Word of warning, make sure you specify if you want unsweet tea or you'll get sweet.

3. Always carry a sweater

I know that sounds crazy, but buildings in Alabama are usually freezing. In trying to combat the severe heat and humidity, the AC seems to be on full blast in every building. It feels great for the first five minutes; after that, it can be uncomfortably cold while wearing shorts and tank tops. I recommend taking a light sweater with you wherever you go.

4. Dial back the sarcasm and be politer

That means saying “ma’am” and “sir” and smiling. Southerners like to think northerners are all mean and rude, and while I know it’s more of a personal-space-and-minding-your-own-business thing, southerners don’t get that. They like hugs and smiles and sugary things.

5. Football is its own type of religion

I’m talking college football here, specifically the SEC. You better do some research and pick a team (make sure it’s the right team too… Roll Tide!), so you don’t end up stepping on toes. Tailgating is done with a whole lot of enthusiasm. Be careful of what you say because insulting someone’s team is just not done without serious consequences.

6. There are really only two seasons: summer and not-summer

Seasons are wacky in Alabama. There's summer and then everything else. First of all, forget fall. Fall is still 100-degree weather. Winter still exists though. It gets cold; it just takes longer to appear, and usually isn’t followed by snow. Winter in the south consists of cold wind, rain, and ice interspersed with 70-degree weather. Spring is only recognizable by the pollen that covers everything and more frequent 80-degree weather. Summer, of course, is just always hot.

7. Summer is suffocating, but you know that already

Don’t go outside. You start sweating the moment you step out the door. If you go outside for whatever reason (like going to the beach), drink lots of water and take water with you. You might even want to invest in one of those hand-held, battery-powered fans. Also, sunscreen. Use lots of sunscreen, you’ll be thankful you did. It's a great excuse for eating ice cream and popsicles too; that'll help fight the heat!

8. They're speed-demons

You'll notice that as you travel south that the speed limit increases; you'll also notice that southerners like to drive at an average of 80 mph regardless of the speed limit. They also ride up close to your bumper, and you could be going the speed limit or even over the speed limit -- it doesn't matter, that's just how they drive!

9. Tornados and hurricanes are a normal thing

These are just a part of the everyday life in south. Schools have tornado drills added on to fire drills. Just like the north prepares for devastating winter weather, the south knows how to hunker down and wait for “the naders” to pass.

10. The local lingo...“Bless your heart!”

There are a lot of sayings in the south that you're not going to understand. The accent probably won’t help, but you’ll catch on eventually. I’ll give you a few to start: buggy instead of a shopping cart, tennis shoes instead of sneakers, lightning bugs instead of fireflies, “I’m fixin’ to…” instead of “I’m about to…,” and coke instead of soda or pop. Also, “Bless your heart” has a lot of different meanings, so don’t get confused—it’s all about the context. Sometimes it means “thank you” and other times it means “you poor thing.”

11. And the best for last, Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A is a favorite in the south. It offers affordable and delicious food and drinks. You will learn to live, eat, and breathe Chick-fil-A. Just remember that it doesn’t open on Sundays, so you have to get your fill on Saturday.

Life in the south is very different than life up north, and that's not a bad thing. It's a sweltering, sunny, and sweet kind of life. I recommend that everyone give life in the south a try.