Why NOLA Is The Best Place To Go For Public Service

The beds might not be as comfy, but you can get over that part.

4
Karen Shu

NOLA, the famous abbreviations for New Orleans, will forever be the greatest place to do service. Wonder why I say this? Well, ask anyone who has gone with a group to NOLA for a week. You experience and give more than just your time to help rebuild the city that was destroyed by hurricane Katrina. You build friendships that wouldn't exist without the memories you make, experience the culture and get to interact with ones who care so much about their city that they would never leave, even when faced with a disaster.

My experience, just like many others, will highlight a huge part of my life. I became friends with people I probably would have never gotten to know without the help of New Orleans. I accomplished many goals I never knew I could reach and I left with a want to come back for more. Everything happens for a reason, right? After listening to stories from those who lost everything, I learned what it was like to have nothing. To not be able to walk into the kitchen to grab food, not be able to shower when dirty and not able to see family when needed. You listen to these people and feel connected when you understand what really happened, not just a news story on television.

So thank you NOLA! Thank you for allowing me to help rebuild your city. The way you welcome everyone in just as they were coming home. The city that everyone loves. People fill these streets every year celebrating on the ground that is so very precious to Louisiana. The city that is famous for so many things, both good and bad. Thank you, NOLA. Thank you for giving me a group of people who bring the best out of me. Who allow me to feel comfortable opening up. The ones who can see both my highs and lows. We explored your city, saw amazing things, tasted amazing food, and met some outstanding people. Thank you, NOLA. Thank you for the memories I will have till my grave. From witnessing a police chase that was unlike any other, to rebuilding a house for a future family, I left as a better person. Although I explored the wonders of Bourbon Street, I met and connected with some of my favorite people. But most importantly I recognized how great it feels to help others who are in need.

So, from the good to the bad things, thank you. I appreciate and cherish every moment of it. I learned, I grew and I became a better person. From everyone on the trip, I know they say thank you as well, just as many thousands and thousands would.