No One Is Alone

No One Is Alone

I promise you, someone is always there

317
No One Is Alone

The past few weeks, I've found myself, at times, feeling frustrated and alone. That is not something that is easy to admit, nor do I want to, but I'd like to think that I'm not the only one who's felt this way. I think this has been happening because of a lot of factors: coming back from break and transitioning, feeling a disconnect with others, the amount of activities going on and choices I have been wrestling with.

Last night, I went to see Villanova's production of Into the Woods and there was a song that really resonated with me and captured this feeling, as well as provided me with a greater understanding of what it means to be (or not to be) alone. In "No One is Alone", I was reminded that no matter what is happening in my life, I do not have to face my challenges by myself, there are always people who love me.

One verse in particular stood out to me:

People make mistakes
Holding to their own
Thinking they're alone
Honor their mistakes
Fight for their mistakes

Many times, we may act, forgetting that our actions have consequences greater than us, and this is another indicator that we are not alone in the world.

No matter how separate from others we may feel, the mere fact that every action we make can impact the life of that of another proves the interconnection of human life.

Recognizing this not only makes us more able to face the fact that we are never truly alone, but also allows us to empathize with those who make mistakes because of their inability to understand that they are not alone in the world. These people should not be looked down upon, instead, they should be honored as humans who simply have forgotten that their humanity links them to those around them. This for me, also brings up the idea of not taking things personally, and however people act, it is really not about us.

In the same way that we are able to honor and fight for those who have made mistakes with this mindset, we must honor ourselves when we make mistakes, forgetting that people are there to guide us.

This song was just the push I needed to recognize that no matter how disconnected I may feel from others, there will always people to be there to love and support me. I think, a lot of times, when we feel alone, we don't want to reach out and put a burden on others.

But asking for help from a position where you are being open to love and being loved can be the best remedy to this feeling of aloneness.

This does not mean I am not an advocate for independence and decisiveness and I am by no means an advocate for dependence on others.

However, there is a difference between being dependent and clingy, unable to make decisions, and simply asking someone for advice when you find yourself in a difficult situation.

This song gave me the reassurance that if I want help, I can seek it. However, it also filled me with a certain reassurance that when acting with the mindset that there are people on my side, that alone will make a difference in my life.

Today at mass, one of the readings had one of my favorite Scripture verses, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" For those of you who are religious or spiritual, when I say that we are never alone, for me, this also extends to my faith in God.

My understanding is that when I seem to be alone is the physical world, He, along with other gods, the Universe, whatever and whomever you believe in, are always there to provide divine guidance and love.

Feeling alone is no fun, but the good news is, you don't have to! Reach out, talk to people, write it down, express it, pray, do whatever you can to keep yourself connected to yourself and others. In the end, we are all so interconnected that not a single soul is able to truly live by itself.

Never Alone,

Sam