No More Net Neutrality

No More Net Neutrality

Public Service Announcement: Net Neutrality Voted Down by FCC

108
No More Net Neutrality
flickr, freepress.net

If you’re reading this article, chances are you saw the link spread on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or some other social media source. In the next year, your access to these websites - which many people have become accustomed to using on a daily basis - seems as if it may change drastically, and not for the better. It doesn’t stop at social media either, I’m talking about a complete overhaul of the way we communicate, research, and entertain ourselves online.

I know what you’re probably thinking. Why? What’s going on? How dare anyone take away our precious internet! Well, don’t freak out just yet, because nothing has been set in stone; even still, there are movements forming within our government to put some pretty serious restrictions on the way we navigate the world wide web. If you haven’t heard yet, then I’ll be the first to regretfully inform you that net neutrality as we know it is being gutted by the Federal Communications Commission, more commonly known as the FCC.

Before I start going through the horrors of what may happen if net neutrality is repealed, I suppose it would make sense to define what net neutrality is, and more importantly what it does for us as consumers. According to the Marriam-Webster dictionary, net neutrality is defined as, “the idea, principle, or requirement that Internet service providers should or must treat all Internet data as the same regardless of its kind, source, or destination.” In 2015, the FCC - whose head at the time was appointed by President Obama - expanded upon this definition by enhancing net neutrality regulations in the form of forbidding Internet service providers from slowing down or speeding up traffic from certain websites and apps. Essentially, this stops companies like Comcast and Verizon from limiting consumer access to information they wouldn’t want them seeing, and gearing customer attention towards their own content.

That all sounds pretty cool, right? I think so, and so did the FCC in 2015, but not anymore. The newly Republican led FCC voted to decide what should be done with the Obama-era net neutrality protections, and after a 3-2 outcome, it was decided that net neutrality regulations will be repealed. Despite the magnitude of this decision, the FCC paid little attention to public opinion while deciding net neutrality’s fate. The FCC’s utter disregard for public opinion can be seen in the very outspoken protests stemming from both the tech industry and consumer advocacy groups. From my perspective, this begs the question asking that, if the tech industry doesn’t support the FCC’s decision, and the public at large don’t support the FCC’s decision, then why would the FCC make that decision?

Ajit Pai - the new head of the FCC - appointed by President Trump, has built up quite the reputation of being one of net neutrality’s biggest critics. Last month, prior to the vote, Pai delivered his repeal proposal with the intent of combating the government’s attempts of, “Micromanaging the internet.” His proposal went on to strongly suggest that the FCC will do away with rules barring internet providers from blocking or slowing down access to online content. In addition, Pai’s proposal urged the FCC to terminate Obama-era rules prohibiting providers from prioritizing their own content. Internet Service Providers, particularly Comcast, have been especially vocal with their praise of Pai’s new approach, and insist that cutting these regulations will help improve broadband innovation. While this may be true, what cost are we willing to pay for innovation?

Removing the restrictions net neutrality placed on internet service providers will provide these companies with a degree of control that was previously unfathomable. Technically, without the protection of net neutrality, our internet service packages could start to resemble cable options. Internet service providers could force consumers into a new era of internet where access to certain websites is either granted or prohibited in their contracts, much like television channels in cable deals. Of course, there would be an option to pay a little extra for something like the Deluxe internet package, which would allow consumers to surf the web freely, but who in their right mind would want to pay more money for a service that was considered a convenience in the past? Just imagine what this kind of internet overhaul would do to online industry; Gaming, Journalism, and not to mention one of the internet’s largest industries, Pornography, could be forced to make some drastic adaptations.

While cutting net neutrality would certainly give internet service provider’s the power to make these changes, Comcast seemed to shrug this very real possibility off. In a company blog-post which was released following the FCC’s vote, Comcast proudly promised their customers that they, “will continue to enjoy all of the benefits of an open internet today, tomorrow, and in the future. Period.” While this promise is a start, I’m personally taking it with a grain of salt, and eagerly awaiting similar statements from competing internet service providers such as Verizon.

The FCC already voted against net neutrality, but that doesn’t mean that it’s dead; It’s more like the concept is on life support. This is because, although the vote went through, the repeal won’t go into effect until later next year. So, after making it this far into my article, you know my stance on the issue. Even still, I’d strongly suggest committing some time to completing your own research, and whether you find that you support the repeal, or despise it, I’d urge you to take some form of action. There’s still time, and although the FCC failed to seek out public opinion during their vote, it seems likely that net neutrality’s fate will go on to be decided in Congress, and we elect our congressmen for a reason, to represent public interest. In the very least, call your local congressmen, and don’t be afraid to give them a piece of your mind. After all, this repeal effects everyone, today, tomorrow, and in the future. Period.