2019 Oscar Nominations Are In, And Again There Are No Females Nominated For Best Director

There may be more opportunities for females in front of the camera, but behind the scenes, it's still a men's club.

71

Growing up, I always loved movies. It was a way for me to escape the world around me, as well as see the world through the eyes of another person. As I got older though, I began to notice how almost all of my favorite movies were directed by men, and the few that were written or directed by females barely got any recognition.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am very proud of all the directors who were nominated for Best Director this year. Each one of these movies were visually beautiful and told amazing stories. I'm just tired of seeing a man win in this category year after year.

There were a lot of strong female-directed films that should have been nominated this year such as The Miseducation of Cameron Post written and directed by Desiree Akhavan, which tells the story of a teenage girl who was forced into a gay conversion therapy camp by her conservative guardians. There was also Mary Queen Of Scots directed by Josie Rourke, this film was nominated for two Oscars one in Best Achievement in Costume Design, and one in Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling. And finally, Dumplin' directed by Anne Fletcher, which told the story of a plus-sized female finding her confidence while entering a beauty pageant.

Contrary to popular belief, the film industry is still a men's club. Sure, strong women are being written into movies, and talented women are being recognized for their hard work and dedication in front of the camera, but behind the screen, women are still fighting to even have the opportunity to create films.

Out of all 89 years, the Oscars have been around only five women have been nominated for best director, and one woman has had the honor of winning best director. Now, I don't about you, but I feel like that is a bit discouraging for females who are wanting to enter the film industry.

I know as a female going into the film industry, I am going to have to work ten times harder than any of my male colleagues to even be taken seriously as a director or writer. I don't want to hear female stories that are written by men who have no idea what it's like to actually be a female, I want to hear stories about females written by and told by females.

In order for the film industry to grow, they need to be encouraging and recognizing filmmakers from all gender, races, and backgrounds. Each woman has a unique story to tell, and we should all be given the exact same opportunity to tell them. I'm going to tell my story, and the stories of other strong female characters, and I certainly am not going to sit around and let men continue to get all the recognition in the film industry.