Thanksgiving Is Not The Time To Focus On Your Diet

No One Came To Thanksgiving Dinner To Hear You Complain About Your Diet

Negative food talk is not invited to Thanksgiving and that is that.

420

Thanksgiving is arguably one of the most food-centric, family-oriented holidays that we celebrate. We all know how a traditional Thanksgiving goes — family, football, and food. Right? The trifecta of American tradition, and a delicious one at that. We get on our stretchy pants, plan to eat an entire two hours before the food is actually ready to be served, and end up slightly famished, sitting at the table surrounded by people we love (and maybe a few we tolerate).

The Thanksgiving table is sacred ground. There's bound to be some sort of messiness due to the fact that a large group of hungry humans all want the last biscuit, but there are other aspects of the holiday habits that must be put to an end.

The single most annoying thing of all time is when you are at the Thanksgiving table and somebody launches into why they aren't eating something. This is never because of an allergy-related decision, it's almost always because they've taken it upon themselves to lose those "last three pounds" during the holiday season.

How ridiculous.

Aside from the turkey, we've got mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, Brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce, rolls, stuffing, sweet potatoes, roasted veggies, mac n cheese, and so much pie. There are carbs to be consumed and anyone who wears their tight, will-only-eat-a-side-salad pants should immediately be banned from the table. I'm not saying you have to gorge yourself, (in fact, please do not eat yourself sick), but I am saying that negative food talk of any sort has no place on your guest list.

And you know what everyone at that holiday table did NOT sign up to hear on the most-delicious tasting holiday of the year? Why you're cutting those carbs. Why you're going to pass on the casserole this year. Why you already feel guilty for that sliver of pie you accepted. Why you've got to work out extra hard tomorrow to make up for the 3 grams of sugar you consumed today.

Honestly, this just makes me want to fling a spoonful of gravy at you, but that would only ruin mom's tablecloth.

The holidays are not the time to criticize your body. You will only feel self-conscious and disappointed.

I know people who are so proud of how "good" they can remain during the holidays. While the kinder side of me is thrilled for their personal success story, I am so sad for their quality of life. No, I'm not just talking about the tragedy of them missing out on a piece of pecan pie, I'm talking about the fact that food and body image has such a hold on their life that they can't enjoy even one meal with family and friends without thinking about it.

The fact of the matter is that you've given green bean casserole way too much credit if you believe it can sabotage whatever work you've been putting in for your health. But, if you are determined that your diet is more important than that spoonful of mac n cheese, who am I to tell you differently? A devout mac n cheese enthusiast, surely, but aside from that, it's entirely up to you.

SEE ALSO: 25 Percent Of Women Worry About Food Every Half Hour, So Kindly Shut Up About Your Latest Diet

What's also up to you is making sure you don't negatively impact the day for those around you. How would you feel if someone is telling you all about why they aren't eating mashed potatoes while your plate is ready to be devoured? Probably pretty lousy, whether you are or are not normally self-conscious about that kind of thing.

If you're thinking about your body this Thanksgiving, embrace the holiday and think about it with gratitude. Don't put this pressure on yourself to be "perfect," and don't allow any insecurities you're facing to negatively impact how others are looking at their Thanksgiving dinner. You've got way too much going for you to give a plate of food power over a holiday that can be so special to everyone you're spending it with.