How To Change Your Diet When You're Lactose Intolerant
food

Just Because I Can't Have Dairy Products Doesn't Mean I Can't Drink Other Types of Milk

Even though I cannot drink cow's milk, it is still good to know that I can drink almond milk and soy milk instead.

78
https://www.maxpixel.net/Cows-Milk-Glass-Mug-Milk-Drink-Healthy-Glass-3253674

I never had problems with cow's milk until now. I had been itching a lot lately. My skin had a lot of rashes. My parents believed that it is all because of cow's milk. They suggested that I should not drink cow's milk for a week. I did not drink cow's milk for a week and as a result, my skin looked better than last week. My parents were amazed and confirmed that cow's milk really made me itchy.

Knowing that cow's milk made me itchy, they also knew that I would not be able to eat dairy products like yogurt, cheese, and ice cream. I like dairy products, but it looks like they have been my foe from the very beginning.

If I cannot drink cow's milk, how am I going to get my calcium? My mother answered the question by saying that there are other foods that get me calcium like seaweed. She also suggested that I should try to drink almond drink. I remembered that it tasted good before. When I drank it again, it still tasted good like before.

I remembered that I did an allergy test when I was a child. The allergy test said that I was allergic to cow's milk. Come to think of it, it was true since it triggered my rashes. The surprising part was that it said that I was not allergic to soy milk. Before I had almond milk, my mother sometimes bought me soy milk as a substitute for cow's milk. There were other times when I would drink cow's milk when the soy milk was not present. Drinking cow's milk was not bad at first, but now, it is bad. Even though I cannot drink cow's milk, it is still good to know that I can drink almond milk and soy milk instead.

As of now, I am still itchy. There may be other factors that are making me feel itchy. I am still trying to find that out. I have been avoiding food with dairy products at home and at college. It is not that troublesome. I do miss eating ice cream, cheese, and Chobani yogurt. When it comes to yogurt, I have to buy non-dairy Chobani yogurt and almond milk yogurt. I have not tried them yet, but soon I will and found out if I like them or not. As for ice cream, my mom thinks that I should try avocado ice cream which is something I am not familiar with. For now, I am a lactose intolerant person that can only drink almond milk and soy milk.