No Cross Too Great: Part 5

No Cross Too Great: Part 5

Lupe travels back to California as unexpected news rocks his world...

1
No Cross Too Great: Part 5
Azurite Creative

Two Weeks Later

Two weeks had passed and Lupe still awaited the results of the paternity test. Although he wanted to stay the whole time until he could get the DNA results, Lupe had been called to work. His job had been his first love, behind his mother. He wondered if Lulu and Vee would take that spot in his heart, if she was even his. Sitting in his corner office watching the sun make its way across the afternoon sky, Lupe reached into his pocket pulled out his phone and pressed hard on the home button anxiously.

Right as Lupe was sliding his phone in his pocket he heard, "Dear Mama" ringing through his office. Only one person had that ringtone, so he didn't hesitate to answer the facetime call.

"Hey Ma."

There his mother was on the phone screen with big beautiful eyes staring deep into his soul as she read the expression on his face.

“Baby, you ain’t found you a woman out there to lay it on you yet? Ya look stressed.” Califa shouted, sporting her classic stank face.

“Oh my gosh, Ma! You are my mother!! That is off-limits!” Lupe said, while doubled-over laughing and checking to make sure no one hear his mom.

“Boy, ain’t nothing off limits when it comes to me. I know God blessed your heart and all your parts! Who you think wiped ya butt when you were a baby?” Lupe couldn’t take it anymore, he laughed as loud and as hard as he could, tears forming in his eyes by the time he was finished.

Lupe looked on at his mother again. He never realized how much Vee and his mother looked alike. From the short black hair to the smooth skin to the bright eyes. He loved both women and unfortunately, they were both hiding big secrets: Vee with this baby-daddy stuff and his mom with her condition. Hopefully, he would learn something soon...

“Boy? BOY! I know you heard me talking to you?!”

“Nah, Ma. I’m sorry I zoned out.”

“Mhm, thinking about that pretty thang, Vee. Like I said boy, you need to get you a woman. And Vee, would be just per-”

“Not now, Ma.”

Just as Lupe rolled his eyes, getting ready to hear round two of his mother’s, “I can do bad all by myself rant” his phone rang. It was Vee.

“Hey, Ma. It’s Vee calling. It might be important.”

“Alright potna. Keep it trill.”

“MA!”

Lupe’s mother burst out into a fit of giggles causing Lupe to chuckle a little, too.

“I’m only joking, baby. I love you and remember, no cross too great.” Lupe’s mother said, as she kissed her cross and allowed him to answer Vee’s phone call.

“LU! Oh.My.Gosh. I need you to get on the first flight here, NOW,” Vee answered frantically.

“Vee, what’s wrong? What’s going on?”, Lupe stood up out of his chair, getting his stuff together and preparing for the worst.

“Lulu, my boyfriend, and I were riding down La Cienega Boulevard, when this teenager slammed into us. Next thing I know we’re all sprawled out on side of the road. Me and Ray are fine, I only have a broken wrist, but because Lulu was so little she was ejected from the car. She’s alive, but she’s in a coma and needs a blood transfusion, that’s where you come i-”

“SAY NO MORE, I’M ON MY WAY.”

Lupe hung up and looked up flights to Los Angeles. The next one was all booked, not to mention it wasn’t leaving for two hours. There had to be another way.

Immediately, Lupe called the jet company that his record label used for tours and promotions. As Head of A&R, he would probably get in serious trouble for taking the company jet, but they would have to understand. Lulu needed him and at that moment, she was all that mattered.