I Didn't Have My Phone For Days And It Was One Of The Best Experiences

How did I survive? I'm not sure, but what I do know is that I was utterly present and happy.

138
Unsplash

I can't remember the last time I spent more than half a day without my phone... my best guess is since I was 12 years old. Well, this year I lost my phone on New Year's Eve and spent a few days without replacing it. How did I survive? I'm not sure.

For the most part, since I was on vacation, I didn't mind as much not having my phone. At the same time, I wasn't able to take pictures or record any of my experiences during my trip. Now, that part kind of sucked, but it's OK because I felt so present throughout the whole trip.

I constantly forgot that I lost my phone and kept reaching for it from time to time. But it got to the point to where I wasn't so concerned about being "disconnected" because in a way I felt connected more than ever.

It felt so good to enjoy car rides and look out the window and get lost in my thoughts, walk through the city, engage in conversation and even truly listen to music without distractions. I haven't felt this sort of freedom for such a consistent and long amount of time.

I wanted the feeling to last, but I also didn't want my friends and family to be concerned about me. Yet, part of me fantasized about the idea of not having to check in with people all the time and it sort of made me excited.

During that trip, I had all I needed: great music, amazing company, stimulating conversations, great sights, tasty food and most of all I was present and happy without my phone. Who would've thought, huh?

On the other hand, I didn't realize how dependent I am on my phone until then.

Everything from airline mobile check-in, Uber, the clock, mobile banking, camera... everything was on my phone and I was so lost without it, especially at the airport. And then, my bubble burst, and I faced the reality that while I was happy without my phone, it also gave me a lot of anxiety not being able to do things on my own.

After a series of unfortunate events (lost my flight, didn't know anyone's phone number by memory, couldn't order an Uber, or even set an alarm), I was able to come back home and when I did, I still didn't miss my phone as much as I thought I was going to. Sure, it was challenging to make it home without my phone, but once I was actually there, I didn't need it anymore.

I went an extra couple days without a phone even after I got back. Once I actually bought a new phone, it was kind of strange. At the same time, the fact that now I have a new number and phone also gave me the opportunity to start this year with the essentials: the important apps, more space for new memories (pictures), the contacts that truly matter, and a new decluttered device.

So, if you ask me, losing my phone wasn't the worst thing and I'm kind of glad I did.