A Definitive Run-Down Of The Nintendo Switch Coming In March 2017

The price, reviews, games, and more!

13
Forbes

The Nintendo Switch is a game console that brings a wide variety of playing styles for a console.

Nintendo just announced a bunch of new info about their new console, the Nintendo Switch. Here’s what we learned during the big show.

THE DATE AND PRICE

The Nintendo Switch will launch worldwide on March 3, 2017 and will cost $300 in the United States.

Here’s what that $300 will get you:

THE CONSOLE

The Switch is a hybrid handheld/set-top gaming device that you can play on your TV or on the go. At launch, you’ll be able to buy one of two different versions: a Switch with grey Joy-Con controllers, and one with multi-colored controllers.The Nintendo Switch Dock will allow the Switch to plug directly into your TV, using either a separate Nintendo Switch Pro Controller or the included Joy-Con controllers to play it like you would a normal set-top console.What sets the Switch apart from other consoles is the fact that you can remove it from the dock at any time and immediately resume playing on the go. While in handheld mode, you can also connect up to eight Switch consoles locally via wifi for local multiplayer games.

THE ONLINE SERVICE

The Switch will launch with a new online service. It’ll be free at launch, but in fall of 2017 Nintendo will start to charge for it. According to Nintendo, subscribers will get to download and play a NES or Super Nintendo game “for free for a month,” and those games will have newly-added online features.

THE SCREEN

In handheld mode, the Switch will output video to its built-in 6.2-inch, 720p display. The screen also uses a capacitive touch panel.

THE BATTERY LIFE

Nintendo claims the Switch can get up to 6 hours of battery life.

THE STORAGE CAPACITY

The Nintendo Switch will come with 32GB of internal memory. However, it can be easily expanded using microSD cards.

THE CONTROLLERS

The detachable Joy-Con controllers. Are basically Wii nunchucks but improved. You can also use a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, which will go for $69.99. You can buy a second set of Joy-Con for $79.99. Individual Joy-Con go for $49.99.

THE GAMES

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: We’ve known the next Zelda was coming to the Switch, but now we know for sure that it will be a launch title, releasing alongside the system on March 3rd, 2017.

Super Mario Odyssey: Nintendo showed this new Mario game during the initial reveal trailer, but now we know its name, and a few key details about it. In Odyssey Mario leaves the Mushroom Kingdom and travels to new lands on a flying steam boat. Worlds we saw included New Donk City, a version of New York City seemingly populated by normal-looking humans, a Mayan temple–inspired land, a jungle, and a pastel-colored world that appeared to be full of crystals.

Nintendo described the game as having a large open world to explore, similar to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, but it’s unclear whether the game will feature a true open-world map as we understand it or a hub world with individual levels to access.

Oh, and Mario’s hat now has eyes. We don’t know exactly what that means, either.

Super Mario Odyssey will launch before the end of 2017.

Splatoon 2: This sequel to the Wii U’s squid-kid shooter features new weapons, modes, stages, and fashions. Like the first game, Nintendo plans to offer extensive content updates after launch, all free of charge. It’ll be out this summer.

1-2-Switch: The most unconventional game Nintendo showed off, this title doesn’t even require players to look at the screen. Instead, it’s a party game where two people face off, each holding one Joy-Con controller. The trailer made reference to a Old West–style duel, with players seeing who was quickest on the draw. Other modes listed by Nintendo include “cow-milking competitions” and “a copycat dance-off.” 1-2-Switch is a launch title, which means it’ll be out on March 3rd.

Arms: This wacky fighting game involves characters with extendable arms, punching at each other. Nintendo described it as a mix of a boxing game, since the attacks are technically melee, and a shooter, since you need to aim and launch your punches. It’s played with the Joy-Con controllers disconnected from the system, one in each hand, since it makes full use of the motion controls. The game supports splitscreen, online, and local multiplayer on two connected consoles.

While Arms might seem simple and silly, Nintendo touted it as having a lot of depth for hardcore players, with advanced moves, techniques, and strategies to master. It’ll be out sometime this spring.

Beyond this highlighted titles, Nintendo also offered shorter glimpses at other games currently in development:

• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, a port of Bethesda’s fantastic open-world RPG.
  • An installment of EA Sports’ FIFA series, though it’s not clear if it will be a version of the same FIFA 18 that’s coming to other consoles this year. EA promises the most immersive, social, and authentic sports game ever to appear on a Nintendo platform.

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which Nintendo is calling “the definitive version of” the Wii U racing game. It features all the previous DLC, Splatoon‘s Inklings as new guest characters, a revised Battle mode, new tracks, and more. It’s out April 28th, 2017.
  • Fire Emblem Warriors, a new take on the popular series being developed by Team Ninja.
  • Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest XI, and Dragon Quest Heroes I+II, three separate releases from the Square Enix series.
  • The next game in the Shin Megami Tensei series of RPGs from Atlus, though this particular game is still untitled.
  • Project Octopath Traveler, a new RPG from Square Enix that blends retro-style pixel art and 3D graphics.
  • Snipperclips – Cut it out, together!, a new puzzle game centered around cutting out and rearranging shapes. Interestingly enough, it supports up to four players in cooperative play.

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2, a sequel to the Wii U RPG. It’ll be out before the end of 2017.
  • A new game from Suda51 and Grasshopper Manufacture starring Travis Touchdown of No More Heroes fame. The quirky Suda said the game is still early—it doesn’t even have a title—but noted that he was inspired by tag-team matches in pro wrestling.
  • Steep, Ubisoft’s recently launched open-world extreme winter sports game.
  • Rayman Legends Definitive Edition, an update of the Ubisoft platformer.
  • Just Dance 2017, the popular Ubisoft dancing game.
  • Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers, an update of the classic fighting game with new characters Evil Ryu and Violent Ken.
  • Rime, the formerly PS4-exclusive indie game from Tequila Works.
  • Super Bomberman R
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris, a cult hit puzzle game.
  • Sonic Mania, the upcoming retro-inspired sequel starring everyone’s favorite hedgehog.
  • NBA 2K18
  • Disgaea 5 Complete
  • Fast RMX, a sequel to Wii U racing game Fast Racing Neo
  • Skylanders Imaginators
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 is coming from Bandai Namco, along with entries in the Tales and Taiko Drum Master series.
  • I am Setsuna, the 2016 Japanese role-playing game from Tokyo RPG Factory and Square Enix.
  • Farming Simulator, clearly the Switch’s killer app
  • Has-Been Heroes, an action-strategy game from the developers of Trine.
  • Last but not least, Minecraft and Minecraft: Story Mode are both confirmed.

In total, more than 80 games are in development for the Switch, so expect to hear about many more in the coming months.