Nine Things You Don't Need In College

Nine Things You Don't Need In College

Everyone says what you should pack, here is what you shouldn't.

11
Nine Things You Don't Need In College
Kid Pix

Another trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond should do the trick? Right?

Knowing that school is just around the corner, I am faced with the difficult task of packing for college. It is easy to go on Pinterest and search for packing lists covering everything from hangers to pillowcases to air freshener. After spending one year in a dorm, I was slightly disappointed in how wrong those lists are. Even though it is nice to have a guideline, there were many things that sat and collected dust. Don't waste your hard earned cash on the following items. They are unnecessary in the hustle and bustle of Freshman living.

1. Iron

Resist the urge to buy it

Eleven out of ten lists are going to say you need an iron at school, and I can guarantee that you will never use it. Unless you are one who frequently wears button-ups and bow-ties, this is not the tool for you. Skip the hassle and save valuable closet space by limiting the amount of delicate clothes you bring. In the case of an emergency, you can use a hair straightener, or even better, make friends with other people in your dorm who might have made the mistake of purchasing an iron.

2. Chair

There is not room in a dorm. Another bulky item to squeeze into your already crowded room! You may think that a fluffy butterfly styled chair would be a more comfortable, but try a bedrest pillow (you know, the one with arms?) or a body pillow to make your bed a lounging area. You will have plenty of room to watch Netflix— I mean, study—without the overcrowding of extra furniture.

3. A Safe

No one will enter your room. Much like the iron, a safe is also a waste of space. All college dorm rooms lock one way or another, therefore there is no need to hide your valuable items in a portable safe. Try to limit the amount of jewelry and electronics you bring to school while packing. Anyways, how many valuables can an 18-year-old have?

4. Tool Kit

Command hooks will be your new BFF. You may think you will use this in an emergency, but you're wrong. The large majority of dorm rooms have rules against using tacks or nails, eliminating the hammer. Most furniture comes with small, dinky tools for home assembly, therefore, the need for a screwdriver is irrelevant. Anyways, if something is really wrong with your room, it probably bests that you call maintenance instead.

5. Bed Risers

Probably gonna kill you. Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple more inches of under-the-bed storage? I sure think so too! It's not that these are a bad purchase but check with your school's residential office before making this purchase. Many schools ban these in dorms because they can be hazardous. If you have the freedom to raise your bed up, go ahead! Just remember you'll have to practice your high jump technique to get into bed.

6. A Robe

Just no. Oh the sacred robe. Being that the communal bathroom is down the hall, you may think it's best to use a robe. Even though it may be more modest, you will soon come to realize that using a towel as a wrap is much more convenient. Leave the fluffy thing at the checkout and invest in a good towel instead.

7. Drying Rack You

have a laundry room for a reason. I don't know what decade you are stuck in, but we have this magical machine called a dryer! Believe it or not, colleges do have industrial strength washers and dryers available for use any time of day. Are they as fancy as your special edition LG brand at home? No, but I promise it'll get the job done without the drying rack as a sidekick.

8. High School T-Shirts

Maybe only one... I know that if you are anything like me, half of your wardrobe consists of t-shirts and sweatshirts from your high school. They may be your favorite, but give it a few weeks and you'll be able to move onto new college apparel. Take a walk to your campus bookstore and invest in new spirit wear. Soon enough, you will begin to fit right in!

9. Kitchen Supplies

Unless you are lucky enough to have a kitchen in your dorm, save the dishes for home. Most of the time you will be eating at your dining hall, and with the rare occasion of microwavable mac and cheese, plates and utensils are just decoration. Opt for more temporary items by sharing paper plates and plastic cutlery with your roomie. Just recycle.