To My Newborn Niece, Chase Your Dreams

To My Newborn Niece, Chase Your Dreams

I can't wait to see who you become.

193
To My Newborn Niece, Chase Your Dreams
Gabby Orcutt

Dear Janessa,

You are due to be born in just over two weeks, but rumor has it you'll likely be joining us a little bit sooner than we expected. Though I'll probably be missing your grand debut, I can't wait to meet you when I'm in town the week you were originally supposed to arrive.

This is a crazy world you're coming into, but you are one of the luckiest little girls in the whole world. You are coming into a family where you'll have two amazing parents, a fantastic big brother, loving grandparents, a gaggle of aunts and uncles who will shower you with presents and love, and hopefully – one day – lots and lots of cousins to play with (no promises on exactly how many, though.) You are going to be surrounded by so much love, and we are all so excited to meet you.

We are all going to be here to walk with you through any trials and troubles you may face. Growing up is tough. Take it from me, you will have some rough times. Even though it's cheesy as can be, I hope you'll read the advice I'm about to give you and take it to heart.

Your mom is one of the most amazing women in the world. You will definitely have times when you butt heads and drive each other crazy, but at the end of the day, she is the best mom you could ever ask for. Be nice to her even when you're mad. You'll regret it if you aren't.

If you can, throw the flowers nicely and walk towards the front of the aisle in a relatively calm fashion at my wedding. I know you won't be very old, but if you don't, your uncles will tease you for the rest of your life (and maybe I will, too.)

Your childhood is supposed to be fun, so have as much fun as you can. Play hard and don't take life too seriously. I know the years seem to drag on now, but trust me, it won't last long; your eighteenth birthday will arrive before you know it.

You will probably hate the whole world when you're in middle school and maybe while you're in high school, too. It's normal to feel like that: we all went through those times. It'll get better as you figure out who you are and what you want in life.

Let your dad and grandparents teach you Russian. I would love to be bilingual; seize the opportunity you have. It will be much easier if you learn while you're young.

Exercise and drink lots of water. Your life will be easier if you start those habits at a young age.

Sometimes the decisions you make won't make everyone else happy, but always do what is best for you.

Try out lots of different activities and don't be afraid to try new things. You might be surprised at what you love to do.

Everything works out the way it's supposed to. When one door closes, another door opens. If something doesn't work out, it wasn't meant to be...and that's okay.

Chase your dreams, whatever they are. See the world or go to law school. Become a musician, a nurse, or an archaeologist. You can be whatever you want if you work hard. I believe in you.

I hope you will look back on this as you grow up. I wish I had something like this to read as I was wading my way through my teenage years.

I hope you'll always remember that I'm here for you, even if I do graduate college and get that glamorous writing job somewhere out west. No matter what you need, I will do anything I can for you. Even if we are thousands of miles apart, I am still only a phone call away. You have an open invitation to come visit me whenever you want (but if you're under eighteen, that's only as long as your mom and dad say yes).

I can't wait to see who you become.

All my love,

Aunt Jenna