To The Next Generation

To The Next Generation

In Honor Of My Perfect Niece

12
To The Next Generation
Joel Young/ Google Plus

You won’t remember the time that you put pantyhose on your head or the first time you tried sweet potatoes, but we will tell you these stories more times than you will want to hear. You never realize how important you are to the people who love you until you are on the other side. The day you were born, we all circled around you, in awe of how much you can love someone in a matter of a few seconds. It is such an otherworldly feeling to look at something so miraculous and realize that you get to watch it grow taller than you are. To the little girl who stole my heart on March 18, and all the little ones to come:

You are more loved than you will ever know.

We have cried so many tears simply over how precious you are to us. We have prayed over you, blessed you, and watched you become destined for greatness beyond measures. You have a team big enough to fight the world, and though you might want to bench some of us at times, we will always be there to root for you. You are strong -- we knew that the minute we heard of your existence. You are resilient--we watched you fight like hell and overcome. You are so much more than the names this world gives you.

Sometimes, life will seem like too much to carry, but rely on your Creator.

We have lived it. We have been right where you are, and we know that some days hurt and other days bring tears to your eyes over the smallest of things. It hurts to know you will have these days, but there is so much reassurance in how incredible our God is. He made you and, for me, that is far more proof of miracles than anything else. He will carry you and sculpt you and challenge you to become more. No matter how many people tell you otherwise, our God is the most loving and forgiving being that will ever exist. You will mess up. You may make a mistake on a Friday night, or completely bomb an exam, but God does not hold these things against you (and neither will your incredible aunt). When you feel like there is no one to talk to, look to Him. He is a listener and a supporter and, above all, an incredible and almighty Father.

You were spoken into life for an exact purpose.

Being a girl in this society is not an easy thing, but you don't need easy. There will be days that the curve of your body will be your worst enemy, but there is so much more to life than that. The day you realize that your body is your home is the day that life becomes lighter. Every single part of you was thought out and placed with care. The stretch marks you earn throughout life are not a sign of impurity, but of growth. Think of yourself as a flower: no one looks at a flower and tells it not to grow. You are allowed to take up space. Take up as much space as your being demands. Do not let other people walk across you, and do not let other people tell you what you are destined to be. You are the only person who has any control over your life. You are the only one who can chose to love yourself and treat yourself right. Boys are so irrelevant until you find the ways to love yourself. You are far more important that kisses under the bleachers and a pile of broken hearts.

You have the ability to change lives.

Before you had even seen this world for the first time, you had changed us. You were loved and cherished (and, let’s be honest, spoiled) before we even knew what to call you. You made your mommy so full of life and joy. You made every single one of us so much better. Never think that this ability will fade. You will hear this a countless amount of times in your life (thanks to your Queenie), but “kindness matters.” I can tell by your smile you are going to be one of the kindest people to ever walk this earth. You are going to do such grand things. Never for one second think that your voice does not matter.

You came into this world and you changed it. You are here to amaze: embrace the littlest of moments and live boldly…and always remember how much your aunt loves you.