New Years Resolutions

New Years Resolutions

Happy New Year!

7
New Years Resolutions
Google

New Years Eve and New Years Day, the end of an era, and the dawn of a new time. We've heard it all, "new year, new me" echoes through the air. The sparkles come out, the bottles of champagne, some people kiss their significant others, while others kiss their bottles of champagne. Its all a big event, followed by packed gyms of people fulfilling their new years resolutions, that shortly fade away.

My main new years resolution this year is to have resolutions i'll actually keep. To set goals for myself i'm actually driven to accomplish. We can't just keep in mind the things we want and effortlessly wait for them to happen. In some cases that may be the nature but in a lot of situations there is hardwork that needs to be accomplished and changes that need to be made. There are a thousand things you can talk about doing, but actually doing them is a whole new ballpark.

Here are some things I would like to accomplish with the New Year:

1. To live for myself

I want to do things I love everyday and make that a priority. I could never forget to care for the people I love, but I want to remember to care for myself as well. I want to spend less time stressing myself out trying to pull non-existent strings trying to make life run more smoothly and let it run its course and make the absolute best of it. I saw a movie this summer called, "The Holiday" and a conversation two of the characters had hit me hard. A wise elderly man was using a movie analogy to give one of the main characters advice and he told her how she needs to stop playing the "supporting role" in her own life. It made me realize that was what I had grown comfortable with and I hated it. As cheesy as it sounds ever since, I've been starting to live differently and I love how I feel, so my goal is to ultimately go forward with that concept.

2. To be truly healthy

I don't want to just be healthy when its easy, or when I feel like it. I want to make a lifestyle change. I want to treat my body with the respect it deserves and that has a lot to do with nutrition and exercise. I want my mind to be healthy as well, enriched with knowledge, literature, music, art and all the other beautiful things life has to offer.

3. To organize my life

I'll be honest with myself I'm a creative thinker, I stumble upon many great thoughts everyday in many different forms. Occasionally, I do write them down, but the odds of me ever seeing them again after that are slim to none. I'm great at making schedules, I actually oddly love it, but I can never find them or follow them. My life reminds of bright paint splattered all over a canvas, but it has so much potential to be more than that If I get over one of my biggest weaknesses, organization.

4. Never again allow myself to be a push-over

A few years ago I would have probably identified myself as a push-over and somehow have been okay with it. I justified it with maturity and told myself it wasn't worth the energy to fight people. The problem is no-one said you had to fight people to stand up for yourself. Years later, I've gotten a lot better. However, I still strongly prefer saying yes to people, than no. I still don't think there is anything wrong with that, it makes me happy to help the people I care about, but there's a fine line I think I've grown mature enough to differentiate.

There are definitely many more things which I would love to accomplish, some of which I couldn't even begin to think of right now, because who knows what this year is going to unravel, all I know is I want to be ready to take it in its stride.