A New Yorker's Open Letter To Food Delivery Apps

I appreciate you, but lately you've disappointed me.

30
Food Matters

Hello to one of my most commonly used food delivery services,

I appreciate that you allow me to be laid-back and lethargic in my dormitory. I appreciate that all I have to do is order online and pick up my food after the the delivery guy arrives. I love the concept of your ideals, but these days I feel that it’s a little disappointing.

The website is filled with lists and categories of restaurants, filled with different delicacies and savory foods for your lazy dinner days. There are numerous options to choose from and a great review setting for you to check out. I am a very picky person when it comes to food, so I always decide to refine my search options to a 4 or 5 star review. They are generally really great, but there are days when my delivery is late, my order is wrong, or my food is given to the wrong person living in my dormitory. I agree that unfortunate circumstances arise, but if it always occurs, and nothing is ever implemented to fix it, then I think it’s a problem.

While regular apartments in New York City are allowed to have their delivery service guy go up to the apartment under the OK of the doorman, dormitories require students to come down and receive their deliveries. And since many students are like me, we often order out because of our hectic schedules. Once the delivery guy arrives, I go down expecting my order. I see nobody in a biking helmet or nobody holding a plastic bag of food. I wait for 5 minutes. I wait for 10 minutes. I decide to call the restaurant. “The delivery guy already came! He gave it to you and you said you were Angela!” No, no, and no. That person was not me. I am me, and I am unhappy that I do not have my food.

Over the course of these unfortunate circumstances, I’ve come to realize that there is a problem with not only the restaurant’s delivery but also the food ordering app’s execution of promised food. There is no confirmation to tell a student from another student because:

1. We are the ones that go down to the lobby, rather than have them come up.
  2. A student can go by word of mouth to agree that they are this person to pick up a food order when they are not.
  3. They could make a mistake in picking up the order without even knowing it.

And most of the times? The delivery guy doesn’t care who it gets delivered to as long as it’s delivered.

And no, I don’t want your compensation fee for my missed meals. I want a change in the concept of food delivery services and by contacting the restaurant and delivery guy to implement a better way of confirming if the customer has gotten his or her food. I am fatigued of waiting 2 plus hours for a food that’s either late, wrong, or delivered to another person.

I, through all of this, will still order from your app service. But this time, I hope my complaints will be heard and be solved.

Thanks,
Angela