Ex Yankee Fan
Professional

the perks of being a mets fan

With the Mets, you never know how a game will go.

70
the perks of being a mets fan
Lizzie Braun

Oh, wait... There are none.

I actually used to be a New York Yankee fan; I was until the age of nine. At the time the Yankees were always winning, so it only made sense to be a fan. I forced my father to let me skip school and take me to the Yankee Day Parade in New York City after they won the World Series in 2009.

But then I was like the Mets are not good, let me root for them. At the time, I thought it would be a great idea. My dad is a big-time Mets fan, so he was so happy when I switched over. But some days (well, most days), I wonder why I ever turned to the dark side.

Being a New York Mets fan takes a lot of commitment. It is a constant struggle to cheer for them and support them every game because it is very possible for the Mets to score 8 runs in a game and still lose.

Sometimes you ask yourself if your favorite player gets traded, do you stay a Mets fan or switch to his new team? But, in the end, no matter what happens, you remain a Mets fan because Mets fans are the best fans. We stick it out through the ups and downs again and again. Well in all honesty if Jacob deGrom gets traded, I have no idea what I would do with my life. I would probably die. I would die.

The Mets had a great run in 2015. They were so close to winning the World Series, but they would not be the Mets if they did not mess up and lose it.

There is one perk of being a Mets fan. The games are a lot of fun. I'm not just saying it because I'm not a Yankee fan, the Yankee games are pretty dull. They are always winning so there is no need to pay attention. But, with the Mets, you never know how a game will go. You really don't. Citi Field is also a lot more family oriented. There is loads of stuff for people of ages to do from kids to grandparents.

My whole family is a Mets fan, but my brother. He likes the Yankees, he's smart. I love my New York Mets, but I dream of the day they become a fantastic team. I guess there is one perk being a Mets fan teaches you loyalty. The Mets are my real ride or die; no matter what, I will stick by their side.