New Year's Resolution Check-In

New Year's Resolution Check-In

Are you still on track?

21
New Year's Resolution Check-In

Lose weight? Check. Start exercising? Check. Declutter? Check. Stop smoking? Check.

Don't you wish that was you? It's that time of year again! The third week of January is when the majority of people fall off their New Year's resolution fast-track to their goals. According to Forbes.com, only 8 percent of people achieve their resolutions. So think to yourself in this moment... How's my 2017 resolution progressing? Still on track, good for you! If not, maybe reevaluate your goals and follow these easy tips.

Set specific goals.

Saying you're going to get in shape this upcoming year isn't very specific. Instead say you want to go to the gym a certain amount of times per week and plan those specific days into your schedule. Make sure your resolution is measurable, meaning, set a number with it. You want to drink eight glasses of water a day or you want to be able to run a mile in ten minutes.

Patience is key.

At first your motivation is at an all time high, but then as time progresses your motivation to achieve your goals is depleted. Progress is by no means linear, there will undoubtedly be ups and downs. Making significant changes to your life will take time.

Share your goals.

Make it a priority to tell your friends and family about your goals, so it will hold your more accountable. Your loved ones should be your support system, encouraging you to surpass your goals. You might have some of the same goals and start your journey together, whether it be in the gym, kitchen, library or anywhere for that matter.

Schedule time.

You may think, "Oh I don't have time to do XYZ," but in reality everyone has a busy schedule on their plate, so that excuse isn't valid. Schedule your goals into your phone, planner, life you name it, make time for it as a priority, end of story.

Get up when you're down.

As I stated above, no progress is linear and something is definitely better than nothing. Any effort is better than no effort whatsoever. Everyone has bad days and you just feel unmotivated, but you have to push through and realize that tomorrow is a new day for progress.

Here are some simple resolutions ideas for your average college student:

Don't skip any classes spring and upcoming fall semesters.

Get on a regular sleep schedule, aka before 2 a.m. every night.

Limit coffee intake to one to two cups per day.

Aim for a GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Study and make Quizlets for exams.

Unplug from all electronics while doing homework.

Smile and be kind to everyone.

Participate in volunteering, clubs, sororities or fraternities.

Get a part-time job.

Go to the gym at least three times per week and make a workout plan beforehand.