9 Things We Should All Strive To Improve On For 2019

A year of change and improvement.

13

Looking forward to 2019, I have a lot of hope for this year. On the other hand, when looking back on previous years there are a lot of things we could change as a whole. If we improve on some of these aspects, the world will be a better place. Whether it be an outlook, character trait, or lifestyle change, 2019 is going to be a year of development.

Here are nine things we should all strive to improve in the upcoming year.

1. Be Kind

Kindness is free and can affect other people in ways we may not even understand. This year, let's be nice for no reason and possibly make someone's day.

2. Stay Positive

While 2018 was full of good times, there were also some bad times. Situations have the ability to alter our attitudes but we shouldn't let it. This upcoming year, we should try to look for the good in things rather than the bad.

3. Treat Yourself

While resolutions typically result in us being hard on ourselves, we should also learn to balance treating ourselves. Take a well-deserved nap, give yourself a cheat meal or skip the gym for a day. One day won't kill us, it will probably benefit us.

4. Be Considerate

While it's not always convenient or easy to be considerate of others, it is extremely important to be. We can express this through friendships, relationships, or even with strangers. We never know what someone else is going through, so we should be more careful about what we say or how we treat people.

5. Challenge Yourself

If given an option to take a harder or more challenging route, do it. We grow as people when we challenge ourselves and do something out of our comfort zone... even if it isn't always something we would prefer to do.

6. Be Humble

Being humble is an important quality to acquire or improve on for everyone. Humbleness would result in generosity and thinking of ourselves less. Putting others first is a quality that could really issue positive change in society.

7. Try Not To Compare

In the world of social media, Instagram especially, it is extremely difficult not to compare our lives to others. If we look at social media as the highlights of peoples' lives, then it is easier to understand we aren't seeing the negative things people go through.

This also leads to being thankful for what we have as well. Sometimes it is hard but it could always be worse. If we take time off of social media and focus on what we have, instead of what we do not, we could save ourselves a lot of stress.

8. Live In The Moment

Rather than focusing on the future so much, we should concentrate on what's happening now. We could miss out on valuable experiences and memories because we were too worried about what is going on in the next week, month, or year.

9. Be Adventurous

Life is full of opportunity so we might as well take advantage of them. Travel, meet new people, be spontaneous or try something new. Experiences and memories can't be taken away from us, they open our minds and make us better versions of ourselves.

If we stay consistent with our resolutions and make these improvements, 2019 will change us for the better.