19 New Year's Resolutions We Should All Have In 2019

Setting goals can make you a happier person!

33

Every year it seems that I make resolutions to give up on a few months or weeks into the year. It's frustrating because these are things that I want to achieve, but I think I set my goals unachievably high. However, there are a few very achievable goals we can all strive for in 2019. Let's all add these goals to our resolution list.

1. Be nicer to everyone

Sometimes it can be hard to be nice to everyone, including people who frustrate you. There's so much disrespect and hate in the world, even the smallest act of kindness or a smile can make a world of difference.

​2. Do the thing you've been putting off

For me, this is finishing any of the stories I've started writing. However, I think there's something that we've all been putting off doing for forever. Even if it's just a little piece at a time, do it.

3. Let go of the past

I'm not saying you should forgive everyone who has ever wronged you, but letting go of things you're holding onto can be amazing for you. If you can't leave someone or what they did in 2018, leave caring about it in 2018.

4. Try something new

Whether this is reading a new genre of book or taking a class in something you've always wanted to learn, trying new things is always fun, and you may even find a new thing that you love.

​5. Stop worrying about the things you can't change

Everything in life happens for a reason. I truly believe that. When you worry about things that you can't change or that aren't up to you, all you do is make yourself miserable and waste your own and everyone else's time. It'll be okay.

6. Make time for the things you love

We're all guilty of not taking enough time to enjoy the things that we enjoy doing. It just doesn't seem like there's enough time in the day. I promise you if I can find time to get hooked on a book in the middle of finals week, you can find the time to do what you love.

7. Spend time with the people who mean the most to you

Make time for the people you want to keep in your life. Even if it's just a lunch date or a text, show the people you care about that you care about them. I promise they'll appreciate it.

8. Try your best in all that you do

This one is so hard, but it's so rewarding if you do. Especially for classes you don't like if you give it your best effort, then that's the best you can do. Give it the best you can and let the rest fall into place.

9. Read a book

There is a book out there for everyone. Find the book for you and enjoy. Maybe it's this one.

​10. Treat yourself

You deserve a treat every once in a while. Get the Starbucks. Stay in that night. Take a break from studying. You deserve it.

11. Stop obsessing over things that aren't working out

It's so easy to get down in the dumps when things aren't going your way. Instead of obsessing over the things that aren't going well, appreciate the things that are going very well. Maybe you're killing chem this semester. Maybe you've taken your medication every single day. Be proud of what you're doing well instead of moping about what isn't going your way.

​12. Eat your favorite food

Society pressures us all so much to have the perfect body, but make sure you enjoy the things that you love every once in a while. It's worth the calories.

​13. Drink more water

This can have nothing but positive effects on your body. We could all be a little healthier this year.

​14. Find out what brings you happiness and do it

We all deserve to be happy. Find what brings that to you and do it.

​15. Work toward your other resolutions in small pieces

It's easier to commit to a resolution like "work out 2x a week" than "lose 25 lbs before May." One is a plan of action and one is the end goal. Recognize that they may both be there, but give yourself an achievable plan to get to the end goal rather than just having an end goal.

​16. Take care of yourself

Make time for yourself and make sure you're not giving too much of yourself away. I realized this past year, I gave almost all of my time away and was left stressed and losing it. Make sure you don't lose yourself in the craziness of the world.

​17. Let whatever happens happen

Life is unpredictable and instead of micromanaging your life to be exactly within the frame you want it to be in, let it fall into place. Wonderful things can come when you step back and live your life as it's happening.

​18. Appreciate the little things

This one speaks for itself. Life isn't all about the big things in life. Sometimes it's about the little things along the way to the big things.

​19. Be yourself

There's no one better for you to be than you. Be authentically you in 2019 and see what wonderful things come of it.