How To Actually Stick To Your New Year's Resolutions

Happy New Year everyone!

4

Ah, New Year is a beautiful time. It is the beginning of 2017, and last year is like a time long forgotten. As we look to the new year, we have this innate need to set goals for the new year. We talk of how we will work out more, or we will eat differently. We all have goals that we push to make happen at the beginning of the year. Though these are good in intentions, February comes and we have all long forgotten our goals and what we strive for. For this year, let us try something new. Either we cannot set ourselves up for the February let down, or we can look at our goals and try something different.

One way we can change things is what goals we have. Rather than setting huge goals from the start, go with something smaller. Try changing the little things first. Like if weight is a goal, don’t start off buying expensive foods and dietary supplements. Begin with something simpler like no longer buying sodas, or do not take the elevator in the building but the stairs. Do the little things in life first and let it become a habit before taking the bigger steps that require more commitment.

Another strategy will be to request aid in your endeavor to accomplish a goal. I know we all have that one friend that we think if we mention a resolution to that they will be up for it, but I say be careful with this. More times than not, we will always choose the friend that we think will help us in our goals, but they turn out falling short. When deciding who should go on this quest with you, be smart. Look at your friends and determine who are more motivated in life. Those who have more self-motivation in daily life will also be the ones who will not allow a shallow excuse get between you and your goal.

The next item to keep in minds, do not stop. Even when you have accomplished the near impossible of completing a new year goal, do stop setting goals. The goals you had for yourself at the beginning of the year should only be a step towards something bigger. Goals are great to meet, but they should be checkpoints and not the finish line. If you lost the weight you wanted to lose, look to races to be something to do. Tell yourself that you will run a 5K next, or tell yourself you want to play ultimate. Never go without setting another goal for yourself.

New Year’s resolutions are hard to keep, but they are not impossible. It all comes down to how much you want it. Do not just say it in hopes that verbalizing it will make it occur. Put in the time for them and the end of 2017 will feel like a great accomplishment going into 2018. Happy New Year everyone!