A New Side Of A Popular Hero

A New Side Of A Popular Hero

"Spider-Man:Homecoming" shows a younger hero

11
A New Side Of A Popular Hero

Spider-Man movie fans probably picture Tobey Maguire as the web-shooting superhero before Andrew Garfield ("The Amazing Spider-Man") or Tom Holland ("Spider-Man:Homecoming"). The newest Spidey flick ("Spider Man:Homecoming") changes those preconceptions and introduces moviegoers to a completely new spiderman.

Different elements of the film helped establish it as part of the new Marvel Cinematic Universe –– Iron Man as a secondary character, references to the Avengers, and numerous cameos of Captain America in educational videos.

Anyone who watched "Captain America: Civil War" already has background information they can draw from that will help them understand this younger Spider-Man. Anyone who has not seen that film should watch it before seeing the new Spider-Man film because it makes a few references to it and helps viewers understand the story because "Spider-Man" takes off where "Civil War" left off.

This Spider-Man is only a highschooler and fans of Maguire's Spider-Man may leave the theatre disappointed. The original Spider-Man is older, less impulsive, a bit more reserved, and more mature overall. The newest Spider-Man, on the other hand, is impulsive, immature, goofy, and doesn't know the full extent of his capabilities.

However, this stark contrast may satisfy true Spider-Man fans because they enjoy an entirely new side of Spider-Man, which remains very true to the comic book series character. Furthermore, looking at his past life and comparing it to his future years demonstrates character growth and makes him a dynamic hero.

The film became a bit goofy at times, especially with the ending. Although this goofiness established Spider-Man's age, it seemed a bit out of place and took away from the film's integrity a bit. The silly video diaries at the beginning, however, provided an interesting start for the story and introduced the story in a fun way.

The movie contains great comic relief throughout, from Peter annoying his supervisor, Happy (who is more grumpy than anything), to Flash's typical teenage remarks, Iron Man's witty statements, and Ned's geekiness.

"Homecoming" balanced plot with action and included serious action moments, despite the film's more humorous mood. Seeing Peter's journey throughout the film is the best part––he starts off childish and wants to jump into everything headfirst, yet he becomes decisive and willing gives up a great opportunity at the finale due to the valuable lessons he learned. Overall, "Homecoming" is a must-see for Spider-Man fans.